Rat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got the Amoxicillan that I ordered online. Fish mox 250 mg capsules. I'd like to start trying it with Baytril for my myco boys. But when I did the advised mixture from Rat Report, the contents of the capsule were grains. I waited a night to see if they would disolve and they didn't. Is it safe to give the rats their dose with some grains in it? Or is there something I have to do to make them not so big?

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Throw that mixture away, and start again. Take the content of the amoxicillin out of the capsule on a clean plate. With the back of a spoon crush the amoxicillin grains to a powder. You will know you crush it well when you don't hear that crushing sound anymore. If you mix it with syrup, microwave the syrup for a few seconds so it is a little warm. Put the powder and the syrup in a clean container and shake very well for a least 30 seconds. Store in the fridge. Shake well before each use.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
maple syrup has quite a bit of calcium in it and calcium can decrease the absorption of the antibiotics. Nothing wrong with maple syrup per se, just that the calcium might be an issue. Not sure if there is enough calcium to be an issue though...If you have nothing else on hands, go ahead and do it with maple syrup. I use the Torani syrup brand or the organic Flavorganic brand from WholeFoods. So far I tried vanilla (Torani), hazelnut (Torani), and caramel (Flavorganic). They were all big hits with my rats, it was like a treat for them:)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Griboulli how do you get them to actually eat it? I tried to mix mine with banana baby food but my rats just run around instead of eating it so I've had to squirt the meds directly into their mouths and then they dribble it out lol

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I get the powder mixed with one of the syrups I listed above. They eat it right out of the syringe, they go nuts for it! Did you mix it with syrup before putting any in the banana baby food? What flovor did you use? Did you crush it to a powder?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Sorry I'm referring to SMZ/TMP suspension from the vet not fish mox lol, I just meant my meds in general

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Your rats most likely dislike the flavoring your vet use to make their meds suspension. Can you get them to use a different flavor?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Well I already have it so I'll try to mix it with some of that syrup you mentioned. I don't think they have another flavor.

You think that rats are bad try medicating a bird... I just gave up, my bird was on prozac but he effectively had not gotten any for over a week because he started holding it in his beak and flinging it out when I let him go :rolleyes:

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Yep our fur/feather babies are not always cooperative, are they? Lol. I take comfort in knowing that having children would be a thousand times more frustrating, lol.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can I mix the grains with something else? Water, juice, koolaid, anything? I honestly can't get out and buy that syrup stuff.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
The reason most people use syrup is because of its texture. The syrop makes the amoxicillin stay in suspension after you shake it well. Water only or juice might not work as well- I never tried it though. If you have nothing else and if your rats need it now go ahead and use water or juice. You will have to be quick after shaking it so the med is still well dispersed in the water. Some people use half water and half syrop to cut on the calories. I prefer to use all syrup so my rats think it is a treat. If you mix it in water, you will need to put it in applesauce, baby foods...mix well- or your rats won't take it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Omg! Last week, "Hey dad, do we have any Torani syrup?" Him: "What the heck is that?" Me: "Never mind." Go to grab the crock pot today from off the top of the tall freezer...look what I found! Yay for the syrup, nay for the father lol

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts