Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All Im new here and also looking at getting male baby rats! I have heard from some people that you have to fix rats no matter their sex and from other people they don't fix their male rats, because tumors are less common. I just wanted to get some opinions on this before getting my furry four pawed babies!

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's going to be up to you, ultimately. I personally feel that the risks of surgery on a young healthy rat are acceptably low, so if I had males I would likely have them neutered- not necessarily to decrease the risk of tumors but because some males are prone to developing hormonal aggression as they mature if not neutered. On the other hand I decided that the risk (and cost) of having my females spayed was not worth the benefits because of how invasive the surgery would be, so they are not fixed.

I would find a vet and ask them about the risks and costs associated with the surgery. Neutering is pretty simple for most animals, but rats can be tricky because they have the ability to pull their testicles up into their abdomen, so make sure your vet has done this procedure on rats before!

·
Registered
684 Posts
The topic of fixing rats is really different depending on which sex you're talking about. For males, there are generally no real advantages to neutering. Only a small minority of male rats will end up having issues with hormonal aggression (less if you purchase from an established pet breeder). If you end up with a rat with hormonal issues, you can make the choice to neuter at that time. I personally see no advantage to preemptively neuter.

Other minor advantages to neutering would be softer fur, lessened scent marking, and a potentially nominal lifespan increase of a month or so. Neutering will often increase the chances of obesity, however.

Any surgery carries with it risks and complications including death. Neuters can also be quite expensive. I've read that they're somewhat affordable for some people but in my area, they're quite expensive ($350-500).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts