Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my three girls for about a week and a half now, and I absolutely love them! As soon as I can get them to stay still, I'll put up pictures.

I was amazed when I got them--how friendly they were, curious and such. We haven't had any fear poops except when all three managed to jump from my lap to the bathtub and there was a little water in there. They've all been sticking their heads out as soon as I walk in the bedroom, crowding around the door, begging to be played with and let out.

But now... Well, Whimsy and Pixel are still doing great. :) But FizGig has for some reason decided that she doesn't want to come play in the bathroom with us anymore. I don't understand it. Everytime I open the cage door, she runs and hides in one of the tube hammocks. She'll take a treat from me, but only if I stick my hand up to the level where her hammock is. And she runs from me if I try to pick her up, so I don't pursue her. She hasn't wanted to come out and play for three days now, and I'm starting to get concerned.

I understand that I've only had them for a week and a half, but this sudden shift in behavior kinda worries me. FizGig has also starting being very dominant--almost to the point of being violent. I hear pain-squeaking from Whimsy and Pixel a lot. When they come back into the cage after being out with me, FizGig almost immediately has to get all over Whimsy and power groom her or flip her over on her back and hold her there. For the first week after we got them, I didn't see any signs of dominance-wrestling or hear any squeaks like I've been hearing lately. Now my husband and I check on them at least two or three times a day to make sure they're okay--there's so much squeaking.

Anyone have any clues? Sorry this is such a long post, but I have no idea what's going on, and it worries me. I've emailed the breeder we got them from to see if FizGig has behaved like this in the past--haven't gotten an answer yet.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Katherose,

you rat is just probably getting used to its new home and surroundings. are the rats from the same litter? if they aren't try indroducing them carefully in an open space with high room capacity. this is most likely the reason why she is dominating over the others. she maybe doesn't wan't to play with the other rats together so try seperating them for a week or so. after a while, she'l be playing with her two new sister's and social too.
good luck

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, they are all littermates. She's gotten a little better in the past few days, but still acting really shy and only coming out about half the time.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I don't really know what it could be and the only thing I can think of is it you smell diffrent. I know it sounds weird but I like if you have been petting a dog before you go to play with them or are wearing a new perfume or I don't know anything that she doesn't like the smell of? As for the "power grooming, I don't know. I hope she's back to her good old self soon! :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rattieluver said:
I don't really know what it could be and the only thing I can think of is it you smell diffrent. I know it sounds weird but I like if you have been petting a dog before you go to play with them or are wearing a new perfume or I don't know anything that she doesn't like the smell of? As for the "power grooming, I don't know. I hope she's back to her good old self soon! :D
8O I think you're right. I usually shower in the morning, and play with them in the evening, so my shampoo and stuff doesn't usually smell as strong. The past several days, though, I've started showering in the evening. That would affect my smell. I never thought of that. Good idea.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I take it they are babies?

I think i would just give her time and she'll settle down. Sometimes they seem so friendly when they first come home, then they go this phase of "not so sure of things"...just give her time to come around. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hehe. No, not babies. They are about 6 1/2 months old and were extremely well-socialized by the breeder I got them from. (At least, I'm assuming they were. No fear poops unless there's been water involved. They don't like getting wet.)

And FizGig's doing much better now. I guess she was just getting used to things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts