Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I’m going to be a first time rat mom in about 2 weeks and I’m starting to make some hammocks for their cage, but accidentally got flannel instead of fleece. I read that flannel isn’t as good as fleece because it is %100 cotton and produces threads, but is it possible to use it as the bottom of the hammock? I went back out and bought some blizzard fleece to make the top out of (the part they will actually lie in) but can I still use the flannel as an absorbent under layer or will they get into that? Also, I have 3 of those bendy ropes for parrots; do these get soiled/are they cleanable? Should I make a slip cover for them to swap out and wash to prolong their life or just leave them as is? Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have used flannel (and plain cotton cloth) as the outside of hammocks without problems, it really depends on whether your rats are chewers or not. My current girls barely nibble their hammocks, so I'd feel comfortable giving them flannel, but my first girls would have gotten into trouble with it. Since you haven't gotten your rats yet, I'd hold off on the flannel until you know more about their chewing habits.

BTW it's not important to have absorbancy in hammocks, just cage liners. Using the flannel is just so the hammock has a nice-looking fabric on the outside. c;

Ropes are cleanable to some extent- they're just fabric, so they'll wash more-or-less clean- but your rats might chew on/claw them. My rats shredded the one I got for them in about two days, to the point it wasn't worth salvaging. A cover of some sort may prolong its life, or they might just shred that as well. Personally, I consider them disposable.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Any kind of fabric is just fine for hammocks. Just clip any loose threads when your rats chew on them. It's really not a big deal. I make all of my hammocks from some combo of fleece, flannel, standard cotton, or just scraps of old clothes like denim or sweatshirt material.

Bendy rope perches can be hosed down, sprayed with a diluted vinegar solution, or soaked as necessary.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have used flannel (and plain cotton cloth) as the outside of hammocks without problems, it really depends on whether your rats are chewers or not. My current girls barely nibble their hammocks, so I'd feel comfortable giving them flannel, but my first girls would have gotten into trouble with it. Since you haven't gotten your rats yet, I'd hold off on the flannel until you know more about their chewing habits.

BTW it's not important to have absorbancy in hammocks, just cage liners. Using the flannel is just so the hammock has a nice-looking fabric on the outside. c;

Ropes are cleanable to some extent- they're just fabric, so they'll wash more-or-less clean- but your rats might chew on/claw them. My rats shredded the one I got for them in about two days, to the point it wasn't worth salvaging. A cover of some sort may prolong its life, or they might just shred that as well. Personally, I consider them disposable.
Thanks for the response! Luckily I was able to get them really cheap on clearance so I have a few in case they are destructive 😂

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any kind of fabric is just fine for hammocks. Just clip any loose threads when your rats chew on them. It's really not a big deal. I make all of my hammocks from some combo of fleece, flannel, standard cotton, or just scraps of old clothes like denim or sweatshirt material.

Bendy rope perches can be hosed down, sprayed with a diluted vinegar solution, or soaked as necessary.
Thanks! Not sure if they are going to be huge chewers or not but maintaining the threads shouldn’t be too difficult

1 - 5 of 5 Posts