Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we visited a friend, whose cats have an infestation of fleas (I wasn't aware, if I was, I sure would have not gone over aha) and there's a chance we may have brought some back.
The babas, luckily, were due their next round of spot on, so they're treated and there's no risk to them. We washed all of our clothes, bags, their hammocks etc in johnsons small animal flea and mite shampoo (crazy but that stuff exterminates them. We shook of a few dead fleas when hanging up our clothes), I even washed my hair in goddamn washing up liquid. I've been hoovering like crazy, cleaned their cage and having an early renewal their bedding. But I'm just wondering, is this enough? Is there anything I can use or buy to prevent an infestation if we missed a few? Turns out, I have a crippling phobia of these things (first experience with these little devils and had around 3 panic attacks while round said friends haha) so anything that will definitely aid in not having a flea hotel and not harm my babies would be amazing.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's unlikely you'll get a full on infestation from just visiting a friends house. Do you have any cats or dogs? They are normally the most likely source of bringing an infestation into the house I would have thought. I'm not sure on this though. Also fleas can't live very long without a host.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
When i moved into the last rented place a cat owner had been before. I was prety hirrified about a month after i moved in when we found a flea on my Weevil (a rat named weevil lol). I treated the lads with ivermetcin and then got a couple flea bombs, checking that these were animal safe. Then i took the lads out in the carrier and fleabombed the main living areas. It worked well and i never found another (and im know for finding parasites on other peoples rats at shows lol).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's unlikely you'll get a full on infestation from just visiting a friends house. Do you have any cats or dogs? They are normally the most likely source of bringing an infestation into the house I would have thought. I'm not sure on this though. Also fleas can't live very long without a host.
No other animals fortunately, but my SO did bring back a few in his leg hair! Hopefully we managed to rid ourselves of the few that managed to attach themselves, and I know that they are definitely cat fleas and can't live exclusively on us, so fingers crossed.

When i moved into the last rented place a cat owner had been before. I was prety hirrified about a month after i moved in when we found a flea on my Weevil (a rat named weevil lol). I treated the lads with ivermetcin and then got a couple flea bombs, checking that these were animal safe. Then i took the lads out in the carrier and fleabombed the main living areas. It worked well and i never found another (and im know for finding parasites on other peoples rats at shows lol).
Weevil haha! Brilliant! I treated the boys with beaphar as soon as I deflead myself and haven't spotted any on them, do you think it would be wise to flea bomb the house just in case? Where would I go about buying animal safe flea bombs?
But if that was me I think I would have literally died. That's just awful. I just don't understand how people don't notice these things, or maybe that's why they left the house haha!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
i went to Pets at home. Not my fave place but when there are fleas you go to the closest place lol.

Weevil was a rat with a very pointy face as a kitten do my hubby banned him that before i decided he was a keeper and it just stuck. His show name was even better. Fear no Weevil!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
certainly not mine either, but your right, whichever's easiest. i'll have a scout on the site and see what there is.
And hahahaha my goodness. Now that is amazing. I want to have a name even half as hilarious if I ever have any rats I'd like to show. I mean, even though I'm not showing him, I could always name Iggy, Iggy Azalea. I mean, he's got the fattest behind to match!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, bob martins were the only ones [email protected] has, but I can get 6 for 20 pound on amazon. Hopefully it doesn't come down to it, but at least it's not a small fortune to rid my house of them!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
to be honest i mainly flea bombed for me and the hubby. The rats were easy. i was tempted to treat myself with ivermetcin lol. i always feel itchy when there are parasites around even when i can't have them lol.

I love being able to have show names. i don't have many rats so it means i get to think of 2 names at a time lol. His brother is called Davinchi's Toad aka toad. They are probably the best names I've had lol. Currently I've got much more grown up names

1 - 8 of 8 Posts