Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a flea crawling on Link earlier today, and it burrowed down into his thick fur before I could catch it and kill it. What is the best way to get fleas off of a rat? Is it safe to bathe them in dog/cat shampoo? what about dishwashing liquid? (That's what we usually do for our cats when they get fleas)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone know if there are any vets in Arkansas (preferably in Little Rock or near there) who treat rats? My mom said not to even bother with store-bought flea shampoo because it never works and that I'd most likely need to take them to a vet to get the fleas off. :I

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't live in Arkansas but a google search shows there is a vet in Little Rock called Rodney Parham Animal Clinic and they treat small mammals like guinea pigs and stuff, you could check them out.
Flea shampoos don't really work because they just kill the fleas on the animal, and don't stop more fleas from getting on them. If there are fleas in your home you will have to kill them all, wash all bedding and treat the carpet, even if there aren't many fleas, if just a couple fleas/eggs/larvae survive somewhere they'll keep coming back. I know because I've dealt with the horrid things before when I had a cat. :I
Dish soap is safe to use on them, I don't know about dog/cat flea shampoo.
Good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Rattenstein. I will check out that vet later, but for now I'll just have to wash all my fluffbuddies with Dawn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts