Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this ok to use? i have tried greenmile bedding but found it to be smelly very soon and i cannot place the big package anywhere. I now use fleece, double layered, they love to go underneath it, but they destroy it when they do and chew big holes in it. i give them large strips of fleece for bedding and they have 2 toilets with B2N in it. theyt are toilet trained and i change the fleece every 3 days.

I have a savic zeno cage and just put the blanket on the cage bottom. would it work better to use two loose blankets on top of each other so they can burry in it?

or do you recommend using other bedding? if so, i can only use bedding that comes in small bags and not the huge cardboard bales like greenmile. i also do not like the cardboard bedding.
i have used B2N on the whole cage floor and it worked perfect, but i think it is a bit hard for them to lay in ?

·
Registered
577 Posts
You could def do like two or three blankets, and then if your cage fits it you could always make a dig box.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think with a dig box the cagefloor gets very cramped ? what do you use in the dig box?
atm i have a savic zeno 2, but i have ordered the zeno 3 to give them more floor space and hopefully to add 2 babies soon.
the zeno 2 is w80xd50xh70cm and the zeno 3 is w100xd50xh70cm.

·
Registered
Lilac, Comet, and Spark
528 Posts
Fleece is definitely safe to use, but for me and my partially-litter-trained rats, it doesn't work well because it gets smelly and torn pretty fast 😂 It has no dust, but it also has no absorbency (unless you put some type of absorbent layer underneath) which means ammonia- so I would have to wash it about every 2 days.
However, it's a great option for people with litter-trained rats, because it looks nice, is very warm/soft, and has no dust. Like @Rats4All said, you should provide a dig box though, to encourage natural digging/foraging behavior. It doesn't have to be big, just big enough for a rat to dig and move around slightly in. (and it doesn't have to be sitting on the cage floor, you can clip it onto the side of the cage) I would put something like carefresh or aspen in the dig box, but it doesn't really matter as long as the rats can dig in it.

I personally prefer loose bedding, if you made the switch I would recommend Kaytee Clean and Cozy (comes in a small package but expands a ton) or Small Pet Select aspen. (I think those are both available in the Netherlands through amazon)

Reactions: Rats4All and Enne

·
Registered
227 Posts
You should give them loose bedding to dig in at the very least. You can buy pine or aspen shavings in bags for relatively cheap. Make sure the wood bedding is advertised as "kiln-dried" before purchasing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I live in the Netherlands and over here there isn't any good shaving i can buy. Only Plospan, but it is not recommended because of the pinewood in it. also, it comes in very large bales. this is the plospan: Excellent Woodshavings - plospan

other options are ;
1. cardboard bedding (i don't like this and it also comes in large bales)
2. cotton, like this: Cotton & Comfort
3. carefresh,
4. B2N,
5. teabag bedding (hard to find) https://teabagbeddingcompany.com/product/tea-bag-pallet/
6. Tiny friends bedding: Tiny Friends Farm Bedding 15 Liter

out of these options i think i best choose between B2N on the whole cagefloor, or cotton (safe?), or carefresh or tiny friends bedding. it comes in small packages and are they are all easy to find.

what are your opinions about the above options?

·
Registered
227 Posts
What about these instead? The come in smaller amounts. Pine is fine for small animals as long as it's kiln-dried. They also offer beech chips, but they're not very absorbent.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I don't know about the other Plospan products. In the Netherlands pine products are not recommended because of toxicity for rodents. I don't feel good about using Plospan. I think in the UK the kiln dried woodshavings (also pine) are recommended and considered to be safe.... i am not sure if Plospan is kiln dried and safe....

Edit: yesterday i put a large pile of fleece strips on the cage bottom and a stone in the corner. They did not burry under the fleece blanket, but instead they burried under the fleece strips and i found them there sleeping in the morning. Hopefully they now let the blanket be and don't chew it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Awwwww! That sounds cute.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts