Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be revamping the rat cages soon and I would really like to use fleece as liners/bedding but I have 5 does and I think 2 would destroy fleece in just a few seconds but I hate spending so much money on litter. How do people with chewy rats use fleece successfully? And would you use it in the bottom of the cage too or use litter?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I only use fleece for my hammocks and shelves. My girls love to chew as well, so tucking rather than clipping works best with them. I use the cheap fleece blankets from big lots which at $3 for enough fleece to cover 2 shelves with a double layer, I don't feel so bad when they eventually do destroy it. Anything you can safely use to keep them away from the edges is helpful too; I use their litter box and bricks. My girls will really only tear it up if there's a small hole already there for some reason that I overlooked while changing bedding. Stuff that has been shredded isn't completely unusable though, I'll use it to make hammocks (if there's enough) or to fill their hanging baskets. I played with my set up for a few months before really settling on something that works for my rats. Give them plenty of other things to chew and you should be able to find a way to make fleece work :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HOw do you tuck the corners on plastic shelves? And I'll definitely try. New hope! Thank you

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
What cage do you have? Since I have the DFN, I just tuck it underneath and force it down on the metal frame. If you've got something else you can use safety pins or something to secure it underneath.

·
Registered
539 Posts
@Vegn How have the mats worked with your 5 rats? Have you replaced it weekly?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts