Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have fleece bedding and when I clip it to the side of the cage to stop them from pulling it up they bite it and it gets destroyed. So I'm doing an experiment.

What happens if you don't tie down the fleece and it just fits neatly in the pan no tying down.

Day one.
My rats aren't pulling at it and no biting.

Day three.
Same as day one but pulling it up a little. I just had to fold one corner back down.

Day five they pulled two corners up again but you just have to catch it and fold it back down before they pee on the bare pan.

Result:
I think overall it is better not to tie it down.

Pros.
It save money because they don't bite it. Also you can buy less fleece because you aren't buying extra to pull under the pan.

Cons.
You have to fold the fleece back when they pull it up. Only every other day at most for my two boys. (They live in a SCN which may affect the result. Think two small boys in a huge cage.)

I just thought I would share this. Hope you find it helpful.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I tried this with my two boys a while back because I thought that the clips were a hassle and just wanted to see what it was like without them. I came upstairs to find two hidden rats underneath the fleece and a few corners flipped over for easier access underneath. It was quite humorous because they looked to be having fun and I figured out a new little toy/game to put in there for them, but it just didn't work the right way for me. I'm glad it worked for you though! I think it just depends on the ratties. =)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya if you have lazier ones it works better.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also sometimes I put I large leftover pieces of fleece and they can burrow under that. Like if the CN was 36 by 24 than the fleece could be like 12 by 12.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts