Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last time I made fleece bedding for my DCN I used two blankets and had some extra fabric leftover. So JoAnn's is having an amazing black Friday sale online and I really want to buy more fabric for the cage.

Really I just want to know in yards how much you use for the top and bottom pans, three shelves and five ramps? Also, how do you make covers? I sewed two pieces together and made them like pillow cases that slip over the cage. But it was a lot of work cause I don't have a sewing machine. Does anyone just make one big single piece and use clamps to hold it down? And how successful is it if so? Thank you so much for all the feedback!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I buy 3 yards of fleece that will do the whole cage , pans and all , I change fleece and clean my cages once a week , the dirty fleece gets washed in hot water then put in the dryer for 30 to 35 minutes , what I can still use again I save the rest I toss I use Binder Clips to hold the fleece down , for one cage you will need at least 4 or 5 boxes of binder clips medium size you can get them at walmart for $1.97 a box

·
Registered
54 Posts
I always get two yards, but I don't cover/use any of the ramps, so I'd go for three. I too use binder clips, and also have a 12x12 tile on each level to help keep the fleece down.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! Is it alright to get white? There's a design I really like but it has a lot of white and I don't want it to permanently stain or anything.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In my expirence 3 yards is enough but the cage fleece will need to be replaced or washed as the rats will chew at it, tug at it, potty on it...

Any color will eventually need replacing or washing here or there but usually not even the lighter colors we've gotten for them have stained permanently.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alrighty! Thank you for all the answers! I just ordered a green design and am really excited to get them so I can start the redecorating! I'm starting intros next week and want a completely different set up and design for the cage. =)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts