Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new cage I got the girls came with wood chip flooring..and I hate it! It sticks to everything. Wood chips all over their bed, nest fluff, hammock and other toys are very difficult to get out. Grrr's. So I was wondering what would be a good alternative for flooring in their cage?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yesterday's News is getting very popular. It's a heavy processed paper pellet and is sold as cat litter and rabbit/small animal litter.
Carefresh or similar knockoff brands are also popular, but are very light and tend to get kicked out of the cage more often, this is also a processed paper bedding.
Some people now(including myself) line the floors with fleece/towels and have a tray or box for litter and we litter-box train our rats.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You could always use old shirts/towels and such. Although they would have to be changed out every couple of days do due smells and stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you do use wood chips, please make sure they're a kind that's safe for rats (e.g., aspen), and not pine or cedar or something with a lot of aromatic oils.

Care Fresh and similar beddings are very popular and have worked well for me, though as others have said, you may see the same problems as with wood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts