Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-I wanted to know if anyone has experience flying with their pet rats, or opinions on how it might go. I'm planning on flying out for around a month (if it's safe by then) from the West Coast of the US to the East Coast.

I don't know anyone who can keep them full time here, and I considered hiring someone to stop in a few times a week, but there's a few reasons that's not going to work. It's also so hard to find anywhere that does rat boarding, and the few places I've looked are so expensive and don't even play with them.

Anyway, it's looking extremely complicated and expensive to keep them here, and it's too far to drive them, so I'm very seriously considering flying. But they're so sensitive to their environment, and it's a 5 hour trip each way. Is it just cruel to do this to them (especially twice in one month)? If it's just a terrible idea I'll find a way to make something else work, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone has experience with this before giving up on the idea altogether.

I have two 5 month old boys, by the way. One has mild respiratory issues (very prone to sneezing, though he's been to the vet twice and they've never found anything serious wrong with him) but they're otherwise healthy.

And I've done some research and it looks like I can't keep them in the cabin, so the only options would be cargo or shipping them.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If your able to keep the carrier with you when you board the plane then I wouldn't see a problem. Most airlines require a health certificate be signed by a veterinarian to allow pets to travel in this way. If the airline wants to stow them under, or wants you to store them in the luggage rack above then I would not risk it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both -yeah, I've called a couple and it's all cargo or shipping. I'll just have to shell out for a long-term sitter. Don't want to risk their health.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts