Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, about 10 days ago, I posted this thread about Turvy having pneumonia.

Thankfully, she's fine. Doing great, health-wise, in fact.

But she's lonely in her "infirmary" cage. And it shows. She can't really run around; there isn't much climbing; and she's not getting enough attention (I work during the day).
Last night she was on my shoulder and I (unthinkingly) walked past her (normal) cage and she jumped from my shoulder to the top of the cage.
She and Gigi had a "through the bars" reunion. It broke my heart to put her back into the solo cage.

She's been on meds since the 8th. She's fully off of them come Saturday.
As much as I'm enjoying interacting with Gigi without Turvy there to "block" her ... Turvy needs to be back in her home cage.

I know the vet said 14 days - but do any of you who actually own rats have any input?
Is it too risky to let her go back now?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I understand how you feel, and I'd want to do the same, but I'd do what the vet says. I'm not an expert on health for rats, but you wouldn't want something bad to happen just because you didn't quarantine the rats long enough.
You could call the vet and inquire there if you wanted.

For now, maybe provide some extra enrichment so Turvy doesn't get too bored. For my rats, foraging toys really occupy them- and scattering some rabbit hay toppers across the bedding is also a much-loved activity, LOL

·
Registered
Tesla, Ruby, Cloud, and Poe
92 Posts
Is pneumonia even contagious?
If it's caused by mycoplasma, all rats have it anyway, so why quarantine if she's feeling better?
These are questions to ask the vet.

·
Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
451 Posts
I'm so glad she's doing better!! When rats get sick or hurt it's terrifying especially since they are so fragile

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oh and I am glad to hear she's doing better. I know that you were really worried.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is pneumonia even contagious?
If it's caused by mycoplasma, all rats have it anyway, so why quarantine if she's feeling better?
These are questions to ask the vet.
The vet didn't run any labs (this was not my vet - it was an "emergency vet" on a Sunday) to see if it was viral or bacterial ... so removing her from the cage was "precautionary".

·
Registered
92 Posts
The vet didn't run any labs (this was not my vet - it was an "emergency vet" on a Sunday) to see if it was viral or bacterial ... so removing her from the cage was "precautionary".
If they were sharing a cage before, and if it was contagious, it seems like they would both have gotten it. Personally, I only quarantined Tesla for a couple of days until she started getting more active. Just to let her rest without being bothered. Because I figured, if it was contagious they would have all been sick. But it's your pet and you have to decide what's best.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm so glad she's doing better!! When rats get sick or hurt it's terrifying especially since they are so fragile
Me too!
Now that she's physically healthy - it's time to cheer her up, I think.
In fact, responding to Rebecca the rat mom made me realize it was done as a precaution ..... and if she's not symptomatic, she and Gigi should be fine together.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If they were sharing a cage before, and if it was contagious, it seems like they would both have gotten it. Personally, I only quarantined Tesla for a couple of days until she started getting more active. Just to let her rest without being bothered. Because I figured, if it was contagious they would have all been sick. But it's your pet and you have to decide what's best.
I agree with you.
I think they'll both be happier, back together.

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts