Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two un-neutered males. One is probably about 6 months, the other is closer to 4 and I have had them about 6 weeks.

They are both super sweet and cuddly and give me kisses.

I noticed a few days ago that I am constantly refilling their food bowl. They eat pellets and it is typically completely empty in the morning and at night. I give them a small handful, between 8&10 pellets.

Tonight I was cleaning poo out and getting ready to refill the bowl and the older one had been hanging out of the cage and playing with me. When he realized I was grabbing food, he bit my finger softly, Stoll a pellet from my hand and ran off to eat it upstairs.

It didn't draw blood or hurt, it mostly startled me. So my main question is, is he showing food aggression or am I actually just not feeding them enough?

I assumed they were just hiding food and that'd why it disappeared so quickly but I shuffled through all their bedding and didn't find any pellets.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
AHA! One mystery solved. I glanced in and saw he had moved the new pile of food upstairs to his bed but had forgotten to cover it up. So he is moving and hiding all of his food, not eating it right away. So should I just move their food upstairs so he wont run away with it? Or is the exercise up the stairs better?

·
Registered
39 Posts
One of my rats loves to go and hide his food as well. The other two rats are just fine with eating one piece at a time, but little Vinny likes to take and hide it all in the bedding. When I first got my rats I moved the food to try and keep Vinny from taking it out of the bowl, but no matter where I moved it to he, would still relocate all of it. It wouldn't hurt to put their food where your rat likes to take it but it may not keep him from moving it himself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, he's kind of in charge so that's probably a good idea. I need to show him he's not allowed to be the boss!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts