Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my one male rat Dusty is a little selfish with food. He steals treats from my other rat Oreo and will not share a out of a dish at the same time? Is it typical for one rat to be more dominant? They don"t hurt one another and get along famously when food is not involved. One other thing too is they both share a big hammock that they love but the poop in it all day. I was under the impression that they tried to keep just a certain part of the cage as a bathroom and would not like being around their own waste like that. The cage is 30Lx24Wx36H. This is big enough for a pair of rats is it not? Thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
So my one male rat Dusty is a little selfish with food. He steals treats from my other rat Oreo and will not share a out of a dish at the same time? Is it typical for one rat to be more dominant?
Its a normal animal behavior to be aggressive about food, its a natural instinct for them to be afraid that they wont get enough. You can try to scatter feed your rats (where you scatter the food around the cage) to see if he'll be more comfortable eating this way.
One other thing too is they both share a big hammock that they love but the poop in it all day.
Do you have a litter box? If so, you can move the poop from the hammock into the litter box so they get used to the idea of pooping in the litter box.

Reactions: lfraser06
1 - 2 of 2 Posts