Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone :D I have 2 baby girls and they are pretty healthy right now,but I want to make sure I'm giving them the right food.
I currently have some mazuri lab blocks in their cage that they eat every once in a while and they also have a bowl of mix that they eat regularly. It's vitasmart complete nutrition. It has soybean hulls,flaked corn,ground wheat,flaked soybeans,oats,flaked peas and so on. ( I also give them fresh fruit, vegetables and occasionally some chicken )
My main concern with this mix is that there is flaked corn. I take out the corn now before giving them the bowl so hopefully this is okay?
I just bought some oxbow regal rat food so I will replace the mazuri blocks because I just realized after the fact and read lots about the main ingredient being corn???
Maybe I'm over thinking all this but i really care about my babies and want the best for them.
Any tips or thoughts are appreciated!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but its not that corn cannot be digested. It's because of the possibility of containing fungus and/or other bacteria that could negatively affect the rats.
Personally, I use Oxbow for my rats main diet and I add in a small amount of seedy mix (for snacking, enticing to eat and extra fat for my rat that gets a little constipated). I've tried several different brands of mix... most brands that I've tried I'm not too crazy over because of the large amount of those TINY little seeds. Not only do my rats not particularly like them... they knock them out everywhere and it is a pain to clean. You are right though... most of these mixes contain corn. At this point I cannot be bothered to remove the corn. My rats originally LOVED corn but now they're not as fond of it. I give my rats a small amount of plain or vanilla probiodic yogurt a few times a week that would hopefully help combat harmful gut bacteria. My only other idea would be to make your own rat mixture... there are plenty of recipes online and I'm sure the process would be fairly inexpensive and rewarding when it comes to how much it will yield.

The best mix that I've found is Tiny Farm Friends Reggie Rat & Mimi Mouse it is a relatively inexpensive and can be found at Petco (I think they're in the process of changing packaging). This mixture has flaked corn and peas but is more substantial with other ingredients compared to other mixes (i.e. less small seeds they wont eat). Instead of picking through the mix they tend to eat it all.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I don't like corn at all. It is mostly just cheap filler in foods. It is also very high carb and not very healthy at all. High carb/sugary foods have been linked to tumors. And it just bothers me, I want to pay for real food that is nutritional not just filler.

I do prefer oxbow because of that, also because while the other brands of lab blocks do have lower protein formulas they are not as easy to get. And I do prefer lower protein.

I also do not like mixes. They often contain alot of filler, often junk, chemicals and dyes, IMO not a good nutritional mix. They often have alot of seeds which are high in fat as well. The other problem is that rats can then choose to pick out what they want and leave the rest- wasting money and not helping them. It also can mean one rat gets all of X & the other rat misses out on it.

I prefer to give variety in the form of treats. I can then better control how much each rat gets & what they are getting.

btw if u do buy oxbow the best price I have found (In the US) is here:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16965

get the 20lb. It is resealable but u can also portion it out and freeze it if u do not have many rats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts