Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I'm giving my rats way more food than they are eating, but it's so hard to see how much they eat in a night. I started off with a bowl and they always took everything out and put it in a hoard before tossing bedding in the bowl. So I tried scatter feeding, but now I don't know how much to give and by the way my bag of oxbow is depleting I'm feeding way too much. It's impossible to tell how many pellets are left in the bedding as the blend right in with the Carefresh. Rather than just getting one of the wire food hangers, would a bird food toy work? I've seen other people use them. Or would they still work at it until there's none left and hoard what they don't eat?

Also, roughly how much should I be giving three young, growing boys a night? I feed Oxbow young rat and mouse plus Suebees Rat mix

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm not a pro with rat food, yet, so I really can't tell you how much you should be feeding them, but I just wanted to throw an idea out there so you could approximate how much they do eat at night - instead of using carefresh as their bedding, switch it up just for a week, maybe, and use fleece or something so you can see the food in the morning and can tell how much your boys eat throughout the night.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
They say a rat generally eat about a 1lb of food a month. Alot can effect this such as age, activity, sex, other food given, etc.. but it is pretty acurate.

They do make bird treat dispensers, just make sure they both are able to get to the food. You can also search DIY bird treat toys, or rat treats. One thing is making a pinata out of like a cardboard tube & stuff it with paper and hang it. Making them work for the food may help.

The biggest issues will be making sure they both are understanding how to get to the food and doing so. If not it could cause some fighting if one is getting all the food and the other isn;t. You will also want to make sure not to underfeed them.

I have 30 rats & not a single one hoards food. I really wish I could figure out why and share the secret lol

One idea may be to drop the suebee mix (its not great anyways) only feed the oxbow for a few weeks and see if that helps. IMO mixes do seem to make rats want to stash more. They want to hide the good stuff so they can save it for later. And it just encourages the entire hoarding behavior.

On a side note, if you are only feeding oxbow + suebees mix with no other protein sources you may want to add some more. Growing rats (up to around 6 months old) need extra protein I prefer 18% but up to 20% is ok. Adding stuff with the oxbow lowers the protein.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@thelmaandlouise- I feel like if I used fleece then they would still be able to collect it all and create a stash somewhere :/

@moonkissed- I'm definitely offering too much then. The three have gone through 3/4 of a 2.5lb bag in a week and a half. They've been storing food since I started offering the mix and they only get about a handful a night. I usually use it for treats during free roaming time because of the variety. Oxbow's young rat formula has 18% protein. They also get produce as treats or to supplement their dinner.

I think I'm going to get something like this and also get a wire food hanger that they can use, that way if they want to get blocks out to eat they can, but they'll also always have the option of the feeder. And if they keep emptying the ball out i'll use it for something other than lab blocks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts