Rat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a small list of bad foods but is there an extensive one?
I just want to make sure that I feed a good variety of foods to our ratties so that they get all kinds of good stuff.

What fresh veggies can they have?
Carrots and cucumbers ok?

I have read many accounts of baby food. What ones are good?

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
carrots and cucumbers is fine. No iceberg lettuce though as that is mostly water but romaine lettuce is good. Make sure everything is fresh and there is no mold or fungus. That's something you specifically want to watch out for in strawberries and cauliflower. Don't feed raw sweet potatos and with advacado watch out you don't feed the green parts close to the skin or pit. Just the yellow flesh. also don't feed oranges or any citrus fruit.

But yeah my boys LOOOVE carrots, it's their favorite thing! Cucumber is a good thing too. Romaine lettuce is generally munched on happily.

Oh and onions as it can cause gastric upset stay away from them.

And baby food, don't feed much in the way of meat baby food. It contains too much protein to be had on a reg basis. That and beans. I would just feed the fruit and the veggie babyfood that doesn't contain citrus fruits in it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
i was actually wondering something along these lines to however it had more to do with their seed based diet... i feed my girls a mixture by prestige called rat crispy but i tend to mix it with royal cuisine small animal mix for some diversity

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
seed mixes are very bad nutrition wise to feed rats. Most contain just junk food basically, lots of fat too much protein and indigestible alph-alpha.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Here's a list of BAD foods that rats shouldn't eat.

The green part of potatoes (potato eyes), contains solanine, a poisonous substance.

Oninons, Contain a substances they may cause blood problems.

Spinach and Beet Tops, can cause urinary tract problems and stones due to the high levels of oxalates.

Lettuce, Causes diarrhea and contains laudanum, a toxic substance.

Chocolate, Has Methylxanthine called theobromine, toxic to some animals.

Some Peanuts, may contain aflatoxins and is very fatty.

Unwashed Vegetables, may have traces of harmful chemicals or pesticides.

Candy, High sugar and may cause choking.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Peanut Butter can be harmful to rats because they don't have a gag reflex, and they can choke.

Don't feed rats raw brussel sprouts or raw artichoke.

·
Registered
798 Posts
ive heard that, but the seed mixture is all that is sold around here, lets just say that i dont live ina very rat friendly community, and wouldnt be surprised if im the only one who owns rats here, they do get their fair share of veggies, the occassional egg, and pasta, but is there a pellet based diet like guinea pig or rabbit food? and don't worry i've checked my seed mixes for alphalfa, there isn't any listed in the ingredients.

·
Registered
520 Posts
There are lots of good home made mix ideas on the internet. They are all things that you can buy from the grocery store.

I like Suebee's Mix, myself. $15 worth of the mix lasts me about 3 months. Just keep it in the freezer and take out what you need weekly or so to eliminate mold and other nasty things.

http://www.ratsrule.com/diet.html

Combine a healthy home made mix with a fresh assortment of fruits and veggies, occasional meat, wheat or veggie pasta, etc, and you're set. :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
Also, avoid anything with excessive dehydrated corn.

·
Registered
798 Posts
thanks, you mentioned that $15 worth lasts you 3 months, how many rats do you have? because that sounds almost too good to be true, the mix ive been buying is $7 and it lasts me about a week and a half between my two girls.. and im in the market for more girls so im going to need to cut the expenses, and by the sounds of things it will be healthier for them anyway, its a win win situation! lol.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have two girls as well, both with healthy appetites. Another thing to try is watch how much food you're putting in their bowl everyday. They love to hide their food around their living space, so an empty bowl is deceiving.

I will also mix in a small amount of low protein dog food (less than 1/3 cup in the huge mix) when they're young. They don't need it as much as they age.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
They love to hide their food around their living space, so an empty bowl is deceiving.
That's the truth! My ratties love to stash their Forti-Diet behind my pillows! It's always fun waking up with Forti-crumbs near my head lol

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just a note that Chocolate is actually safe for rats, unlike many other pets ^_^ just don't feed them too much, it should only be a special treat!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Lettuce and spinach are fine. Depending on the source it will say to limit the consumption of the two, but most websites say they're good. My rats get nice green romaine lettuce all of the time. Avoid iceberg lettuce though, it's basically all water and no vitamins.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Please be mindful of old threads like this and avoid posting in them. This thread is six years old and there is always new information coming out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.