Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! So I was feeding my boys oxbow, but I really want to make them a mix, and I am following the shunimite diet, but I live in the US and we don鈥檛 have Harrison鈥檚 banana brunch here, and I was wondering what a good base mix would be that you can find in the US. Thanks for the help 馃

Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
I鈥檝e heard of people using Tiny Friends Farm rat food as a base mix but I have no experience with it.

Registered
Scampi + Goose
VivDaRatLuver, I have been trying to research to find a base mix and haven't been successful. I am not questioning your answer or anything, I simply ask this out of curiosity: Where did you find out that you can use these two mixes as a base??

Registered
Willow, Comet, and Spark
VivDaRatLuver, I have been trying to research to find a base mix and haven't been successful. I am not questioning your answer or anything, I simply ask this out of curiosity: Where did you find out that you can use these two mixes as a base??
I was also wondering about that :) @VivDaRatLuver your mix sounds great- however I tend to stay away from Kaytee foods- do you know of any other mixes that could be mixed with the White Mill? Also does the White Mill mix have roasted peanuts or raw peanuts? :D

Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
I was also wondering about that :) @VivDaRatLuver your mix sounds great- however I tend to stay away from Kaytee foods- do you know of any other mixes that could be mixed with the White Mill? Also does the White Mill mix have roasted peanuts or raw peanuts? :D
Kaytee supreme food is not bad for your rats it just isn't complete and will not serve as a full diet alone. :) The peanuts are roasted in the shell and the mix contains ~6 in the whole bag so don't be worried about them getting too much of those. I was wary of the peanuts too so I just took them out whenever they were in my rat's scoop of food for the day:)

Registered
I used to use the white mill as a supplement because it was expensive but it can be fed as a full diet with a few additions. It was the same with the Kaytee food exept it needed more to be complete.

Registered
I guess I mean to say that it isn't complete in its self but with the other ingredients in the mix it makes a complete diet that can be fed daily.

Registered
It is just grains and a few seeds and minimal protein. I think it needs more variety overall but to be specific it could benefit from dried mealworms, Herbs, egg biscuits, peas, soya, and dried veggies. It is lacking veggies, protein, & variety to answer your question.

Registered
Scampi + Goose
Wow 馃槷. You are like, super smart about all this rat food stuff. Where did you get all this info?? This all really helpful btw.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
This is kind of off topic a bit, but again with the UK based stuff, all the good foraging toys I鈥檝e found are in the UK and I can make most of the ones I have in mind at home with PVC but it鈥檚 kind of expensive to do that, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any good foraging toys or foraging toy websites in the US

Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
If you google DIY dog, cat, or parrot foraging toys or food puzzle you should come up with tons of cheap yet enriching toys!

Snuffle mats are great!: DIY: Make Your Dog (or Cat) a Snuffle Mat | The Honest Kitchen Blog
Cats: 7 DIY Cat Food Puzzle Toys That Will Keep Your Kitty's Brain Active - CatTime
Parrots: 5 Bird Foraging Toys DIY
Dogs: People commonly put treats in a muffin pan and then tennis balls on top, instead you can turn the muffin pan upside down and put the treats in the cracks.

Registered
The White Mill food has plenty of variety I was talking about the Kaytee food above (sry I didn't specify).

Rolled Corn, Rolled Oat Groats, Rolled Barley, Ground Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Ground Wheat, Sun-Cured Alfalfa Meal, Meat Meal, Sunflower, Peanuts, Corn Gluten Meal, Cane Molasses, Vegetable Oil, Poultry Meal, Fish Meal, Salt, Beet Pulp, Calcium Carbonate, Brewers Dried Yeast

The protein is all meal instead of just meat. Ig what I mean is that there a lack of whole ingredients. Almost everything is either meal, pulp, or ground up. Even though there are lots of ingredients they are all basic grains.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts