Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My rats, Tofu and Boba, are just a few months old. In fact, we only got them about two months ago. They have always been really cuddly towards each other and quickly became adjusted and warmed up to us.

Last night, after I gave them their food and left the room, I heard a crash and what sounded like spilling food- their food bowl is the hanging kind for birds (http://www.petco.com/product/6386/Petco-Plastic-Bird-Cage-Cups.aspx)- but when I went to investigate, nothing had changed, so I brushed it off. Tonight, the same crash but much louder occurred and I ran there to find Boba sitting at the bottom floor of the cage Tofu at the top, next to the food bowl. Boba, who is usually crazy fast and hyper, slowly crawled back up to the food. As she approached the food bowl, Tofu THREW herself at the food bowl and basically shoved Boba out of the way. Boba ran, as quick as lightning, back to the safety of the bottom floor. Boba seems fearful of Tofu.

I have noticed that Tofu often tries to take food from Boba while Boba is eating it, and that when Boba is drinking water Tofu tries to drink water. I wasn't concerned by this previously because, well, it was pretty cute.

I haven't noticed Tofu being aggressive towards Boba other than just tonight, so I'm not sure if her aggressiveness is driven because Tofu is food possessive or just a menace to Boba. I seriously hope that it's just food aggression. I'll be sure to post any updates.

What can I do to stop and prevent this? If you have any input at all, please please please share. And sorry for the essay- I'm more than a little worried. :(

THANKS!!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I'm not sure where the term food aggression ever came from... but rats steal each other's food... It's just what they do if they can get away with it... Think of it more as a contact sport than a personality conflict.

Fuzzy Rat would think nothing of stealing food from humans, she once pounced on an autistic kids cup cake while he was holding it, she almost got really hurt and I had to snatch her away to save her because she wouldn't let go... On the up side the kid's mom let her keep the cup cake so she was happy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts