Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rat tufty (as you may have read my other thread) is really quite old now and has a lump on her side of face / cheek and a sore eye which has now gone down a bit. I know the time will come when she will need to be pts but she still seems happy and relatively active. She is still eating well but struggling to keep weight on and she is getting very skinny. I was wondering if anybody knew of or could recommend some kind of food or drink high in fat to help elderly rats keep weight on. The only problem is her teeth are wonky now so she can no longer eat hard food - only soft food or liquid. Her favourite is banana which has been having a lot of recently but I think she needs something more substantial to help with weight gain. Any suggestions much appreciated. Also, she can't work the water bottle any longer so I will give her a saucer of water. If it has to be bought from a specific website please could you link it in your reply- thank you very much in advance! :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
What I do is baby food mixed with powdered baby formula and giving them almond milk or ensure. someomne else suggested adding the powdered baby formula to the baby food and it did wonders. also try adding wheatgrass juice powder. very nurishing and seemed to make a big difference. I think it's awesome that you want to do your best for an older girl:) mine are all getting up there too except for the two newbies.

·
Registered
437 Posts
http://www.ratwarehouse.com/shop_detail.php?item=803&cat=11 this is a UK site that sells the kind of products that could help, i've linked you to their product 'weight up baby' but some of the other things in thier health aisle may be helpful to your rats also, Dr Rats Amazing Gloop is a nutritional gloop to make sure she's still getting lots of nutrients, i think you only need to feed one small scoop a day. Both of these products are soft, gloopy foods so your rat's teeth shouldn't be a problem. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Oh i forgot to mention, i linked you to the 'choco' flavoured weight up but i believe there is a berry flavoured one too! :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the kind replies,

But I went to check on her / feed her and let her run around and she has got a lot worse in a day. I think she has an abscess and she has blood all down her tummy and body, struggling to walk, sore toes and bum - but still amazingly happy!
I don't think I will actually get a chance to try these out as I will probs pts in the next few days tbh, even though she is happy and eating well she just looks uncomfortable. She sat on my lab and ate up her banana today bruxing away but I think its her time. She has done really well for a rat as she is two now :(
Thanks for help though and sorry I don't think I will get a chance to try it out - will bear in mind for my other rat however.
I will post to let you know what happens - thankyou for concern! she is such a little solider it is sometimes hard to tell when she is unhappy but better to early than late :( I just don't want her to be in pain - but I think I will miss her! I sometimes wish some humans had some characteristics of rats - I think the world would be a much happier place!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts