Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to make a clear and simple list of foods to avoid for rats. While some of it is debatable, I'd like to err on the side of caution for lazy people or newbies and then encourage more experienced people to research.

Anyways this is a graphic I made. I would love thoughts and opinions :)

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,244 Posts
LOL, our rat Cloud won't eat certain foods until they spoil and go moldy. She'll leave them alone until they go bad and I throw them out then she'll dumpster dive after them once they are ripe... We had one rat that seemed to enjoy bugs she found and I'm pretty sure my girls like seaweed, not that I've ever given them much of it other than in miso soup once or twice.

The only real problem we've ever had was one rat got poisoned eating a wild mushroom. I might add that to the list. Our part wild rat was smart enough to avoid the poison mushrooms, but out domestic one wasn't. It almost ended badly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
IIRC, there's an oil found in citrus peels (and in some other fruits like mangoes) that causes cancer, but only in males.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Agree with what Rat Daddy said about moldy food. Rats are such hoarders that I often find food stashed in their hammocks for days. Of course I do a quick clean out of cage every other day usually, but it is enough time for some foods to go bad.

And insects, man, how do I stop them from going after insects? Whenever my rats free-range they will find some bug to hunt. I never though insects are bad. They are almost pure protein.

I would add to the list raw bananas. They are too sticky, imo. I had a bad experience with them, as one of my girls chocked really bad on it for over an hour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would just feed them less fresh food so that they eat it all in one sitting. Spoiled food could be dangerous. Besides giving them less food I would also check through the cage & remove anything they have hidden.

Even my hoarders never hide the fresh stuff. It all gets eaten right away. I give them just enough and have a routine so they know when it is "dinner" time.

Well wild insects can pose a danger, they can carry parasites & also some poisons don't kill them right away. Ofcourse you can't always control if they catch a bug lol But it is more that you shouldn't intentionally give them bugs and try to stop them.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top