Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it look like in the cage? I just purchased Bass Equipment stainless steel pan and was wondering if anyone has it in their cage! What are their thoughts about it? How sturdy is it? If you have pictures could you post them? I am curious since I have the Critter Nation model 161, the cage dimensions are 36 x 24, and even though the website says that it fits well i'm wondering how well it would actually fit. The sides are 2 inches high so i'm thinking that makes up for the lack of inches.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I love mine. I paid extra to get an extra 1/2" depth. It's quite sturdy. Mine fit a little less snug than my old painted Bass pans, but it doesn't make much difference other than being easier to get in and out of the cage.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks awesome!! What are you using as liner? I thought about going to litter since the edges are higher but I do like the fleece (despite my girls chewing it up)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I was thinking about getting the bass equipment metal pans, but 2-1/2 inches didn't seem tall enough. I have the attachable scatter guard from midwest that gives about 4 inches of height but it's absolutely awful; hard to clean, extremely flimsy, and it still doesn't really hold bedding in. How much extra did you have to pay for the extra height and how heavy are the pans? I'm hardly a weakling, but the sheer size of the pans makes them rather cumbersome to carry down a narrow hallway and through a few doorways to get outside lol

·
Registered
222 Posts
I use bathroom rugs. They work well for rats that are litter trained, they don't seem to chew them as much as towels/fleece.

Ugh, I had some of those scatter guards, too. They were terrible and rusted pretty much immediately.

I think I paid an extra $6 per pan. They're not that heavy unless you fill them with litter. I'll try to weigh one if I remember to do so next cage cleaning.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ratties feet don't get caught in the rugs? Or are you using a certain kind of bathroom rug? I'll definitely have to try that, it would be alot easier to wash since I wouldn't have to buy a bathroom rug every month. That is unless they would chew that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nope, they aren't looped or anything like that, just cheap bathroom rugs from Walmart (ew, I know, I know). I wash them twice a week.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm gonna have to go check it out, thanks!!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I stop by the bathroom rugs every time I'm in the store and just contemplate them for a moment. I haven't tried them yet because I've been worried about getting the smell out. I use aspen litter with my boys because they just looooove peeing on fleece and the aspen keeps the cage fresh for a little longer (of course then they just go pee on their hammocks and whatnot -_-). The scatter guards make it almost impossible to clean though, so I'd really like to try something different for my stinky little boys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts