Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: ???

I heard someplace that Oranges were bad for male rats forget why, but I avoid feeding my rats oranges, or use orange spray, or whatever.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

d-limonese in orange peels causes testicular cancer in male rats. Orange juice has d-limonese in it cause you squeeze the oranges with the rind still on. Oranges that are peeled SHOULD be alright, but it's hard to make sure no peel juice is inside what so ever.

There is a list somewhere on the interweb. I'm too lazy to look it up but I'm sure someone will post it XD

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

this belongs in the rat health section. also when posting please title your posts approaitely to give the other's an idea of what you're about to talk about.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
the middle part of avocados (right next to the seed in the middle) has some toxins in it, and raw peanuts. and anything with too much protein in it for too long of a time (like 20%+ in dog food mixes). there's a bunch tho, phew.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Carbonated beverages (rats can't burp)
Raw beans or peanuts
Raw sweet potato
Raw red cabbage
Raw Brussels sprouts
Raw artichokes
Raw bulk (non-packaged) tofu
Green bananas
Green potato skin and eyes

Also, chocolate should be given in very small quantities and very occasionally. A little bit can do them good, but too much can be harmful.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
kancerr said:
dark chocolate is probably the best for them right?
I would think so, but even that should be moderated.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Dark chocolate (in moderation) is a good bronchodialator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, so far raw peanuts were on the list. So i was wondering about all natural peanutbutter the type where the oil seperates from the peanut part at times. I cant tell if this counts as raw, but know my two dumbo rats like it because they licked my hand freverently after i'd been eating some (didnt reolize i had it on my hand untill they went for it)...it seems like a really good treat for them but i dont want to give them anything that might be harmfull to their health. Does anyone know if peanutbutter counts as cooked peanuts or not? or if it has any good or bad health effects?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts