Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Monday night my sweetie Edi came down with a bad case of the respiratory boogers. Her breathing was labored, she was lethargic, and we could hear a ticking noise when she inhaled and exhaled. We rushed her to the vet, and he prescribed three different medications that we've been getting down her throat every 12 hours.

However, she doesn't eat, drink, or groom herself. I saw her try to groom once, but she sorta gave up. So I have been taking on the task of grooming her, and I have mixed up some sugar water, some soy baby formula that she used to drink as a tiny poppet, some mashed up banana, and some peas (babyfood). I have been using a medicine syringe to force it down her throat, but the syringe only holds one ml.

How often should I be trying to feed her? I do manage to get some of it down her throat, though it is a fight. I got her to eat two ml of banana and two ml of baby formula, but I don't want to either under or over-feed her. She is dehydrated, but I don't know how often to force the water issue.

Since Monday her breathing has been getting less noisy, but she's definitely still lethargic and refusing food. So I want to establish a healthy regimen for when I have to go back to work, and my husband can follow it.

I was thinking morning, two ml of formula and 1ml of banana, same for afternoon except peas, and night same as morning. With sugar water doses of 1ml every two hours or so.

Thing is, I have ZERO idea if this is too much, too little...I just don't know. My baby's lungs are clearing, and I want her to regain her strength quickly.

Any suggestions? She's an 8 month old rattie, and had a little chub to her that she's rapidly losing.

·
Registered
870 Posts
They say rats eat about 1 lb of lab blocks a month, so that would be approximately 1/2 oz or 1 tablespoon of lab blocks + whatever extras you feed daily - probably 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons total. If you are feeding very wet food like baby food that would probably do for some of her water intake. When I was handfeeding rats I fed before work, after work, and at bedtime, or if I was home for the day morning, noon, afternoon, and bedtime. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the poor baby's little heart wasn't in it. She passed away today around noon. I'm just so devastated I can't even deal right now.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. When my dog started to refuse to eat, it was an indication that he was ready to go. After a week of trying to force food, water, and meds down him, I gave up and let him go. It hurts, but you know they are happier and in a better place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts