Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few minutes ago I had a rather intense standoff with Ezio (my difficult screamer). After all those scratches and struggles, I decided to take out Bigby to end the night on a good note. Bigby is OBSESSED with grooming me. He licks, nibbles, sorts out, rearranges, and caresses every part of me. It's always quite adorable, and I absolutely love having a cuddly little boy who wants nothing but to be with me. However, just now, I took him out and leaned down to give him kisses. Lately he's been obsessed with my mouth, and has tried multiple times to lick inside my lips/tongue. However, this time he quite literally forced himself inside my mouth. It hurt. A lot. With his front paws, he pulled down my bottom lip (SHARP CLAWS ON SOFT GUMS), then rammed his head between my teeth. Once my mouth was slightly open, he just forced himself in. My tongue went up in protest, so his claws raked the soft flesh underneath. Because my tongue was up, he couldn't get past, but with the intensity he was going at, I don't doubt he would've tried going further down my throat. The whole time his claws were clawing and grabbing my cheeks/gums, which hurt very much, and he was furiously licking everything that he could. This all happened within 3 seconds or so. Then he did it again, and I had to put him back because he kept pulling down my lip. It wasn't even having to do with the smell of my mouth-- I've eaten and then played with the rats many times and he's never been this... violently affectionate? Lol it's certainly not biggest problem ever, but it took me so off guard. Why the heck would he so forcefully invade my mouth and attempt to go down my throat? Is this a plot to choke me? Hahaha.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Welcome to rat dentistry... I never had a rat that didn't "clean" my teeth and with great patience and diligence too. Don't resist and it usually won't hurt... Rats also like to preen dead skin off your lips with their teeth, some are rather good at it... others hurt.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My hands were really dry especially by my knuckles. My boys were grooming my hands by gently biting all the dead skin off.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Lol, violently affectionate is a good phrase. Only one of my boys has ever *insisted* on cleaning my teeth. I just pushed him away until he stopped. He got the point. Lol.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My experience is once they've had the joy of your mouth they'll act that way from then on out. Not constantly of course. The rats I have not permitted into mouths ever don't have nearly as much interest. Oh, if I've eaten something tasty they're interested all right but not agressive - they won't force themselves in like that. Some sniffs, maybe a little lick at the outside, and then they move on. There must be something about human saliva that they enjoy. So I now never let my rats into my mouth and they don't try that hard to get in.

Untraining rats that have been into your mouth would be a challenge. I think you did the right thing putting him away. That is, if you don't want a rodentist of course! It's cute and encouraged by some.

·
Registered
286 Posts
What the heck. My rats don't do that. I've had them for about 30 days. Isn't that kind of gross and unsanitary?? They could have pee or poop germs on their paws. I've seen my rats step in their poop before and it was gross and I had to clean their paws with goat milk soap. But even if I washed them I would not let them lick my face and especially not my mouth . lol

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took him out for 10 min this morning. As predicted, he went straight for my mouth. In the past, I've let him have at it, because he's gently licked my lips and asked nicely, but now he's literally clawing my mouth open. lol my mouth tastes all coppery from the amount of almost-bleeding scratches in it. But at the same time, I don't want to discourage his love-- I know he means well. So I tried completely not resisting. He still scratched me a lot, but I screeched when he was too forceful and hurting me. He pretty much got the message and slowed down a little, but was still crazy about getting in my mouth. I'll work on it... And avoid salty food until my battle wounds heal, lol. And about it being gross and unsanitary: animals do not consider health hazards when they are conveying love. I frequently give my dogs kisses (mouth to mouth) because they adore me and want to show that in the best way they know how, and vice versa. Rats happen to show their affection with grooming, although I've only had one rat, besides Bigby, who really REALLY liked my mouth. If he really loves me that much, and wants to let me know, who am I to stop him? I'm sure almost everyone would freak out if they knew my rats frequently visit my mouth, but... Well, it's not their mouth.

·
Registered
955 Posts
My experience is once they've had the joy of your mouth
Laughing at this!

@ Nijidoragon - Just wait until one of your rats sneak attacks your mouth with licks. I in no way encourage my rats to lick my mouth but there have been times when they have ran up my top and licked my lips before I could stop them. They are quick and sneaky wee sods!

·
Registered
307 Posts
What the heck. My rats don't do that. I've had them for about 30 days. Isn't that kind of gross and unsanitary?? They could have pee or poop germs on their paws. I've seen my rats step in their poop before and it was gross and I had to clean their paws with goat milk soap. But even if I washed them I would not let them lick my face and especially not my mouth . lol
You can use unscented baby wipes to clean their paws an tails.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah but that still wouldn't get all the germs
Lol we are talking about rats, right? I mean, they're clean, but their not like... Aunt Betsy's China collection clean. If you feel the need to bathe them every time they touch poop, perhaps you picked the wrong rodent. :p

·
Registered
444 Posts
One of boys does this! Although not as passionately as yours, he just pulls down on my bottom lip has a little inspection and then a little clean. I think it's quite cute, people let their dogs lick all over their faces (and in their mouths!) and dogs go outside so are probably more at risk of carrying some kind of bad bacteria. Ratties are super clean little critters :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Lol we are talking about rats, right? I mean, they're clean, but their not like... Aunt Betsy's China collection clean. If you feel the need to bathe them every time they touch poop, perhaps you picked the wrong rodent. :p
I don't think not wanting to put a rat in your mouth necessarily means someone picked the wrong pet. I'm rather fond of the shoes I'm currently wearing, but I'm not about to put those in my mouth - doesn't mean I picked the wrong shoes. I don't think it's a requirement to put rats in your mouth - you can own rats without doing that and it doesn't make you a bad person or anything. :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, of course not, I wouldn't ever expect anyone to ever be as intimate with animals as I am, although if they are then more power to them. What I meant was, if you feel the need to wash your rat's feet with soap every time you witness them walk over or touch poop, and can't even use regular baby wipes because they aren't disinfectant enough... I dunno, what's the point? They aren't going in your mouth or walking on your food (unless you let them) and they live near or around their waste constantly. I find it odd to wash a rodents feet because they stepped on poop. But that's just me.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Our high white girl Amelia was a breeder cull, she was HUGE not fat but super jumbo size... And when I was sleeping she would sneak up on me and just tear my mouth open, stick her big head in and start preening my teeth... It made for a heck of a way to wake up!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Had you recently drank something sweet, Tesumph? Nibbles pulled my lips open and went wild on my teeth right after I had had some sweet wine; once he smelled it he couldn't resist.

Then he spent the next two hours slurring and grumbling about his ex...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Omg Cyrix. Literally LOL. I might have to try that once Dill is older. Hes the only one who really seems to want to groom anything other than hands and ears and toes. He tried my belly button once. Wasnt sure what to do about that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@rat daddy, LOL I would pay to see that. I'd be scared of biting a rat's head off in my sleep hahaha. @Cyrix, I might have, but I don't recall eating anything that I wouldn't normally have before letting the rats out. And lol, the mental imagine of a tipsy rat is just... Bahaha, what a handful. XD

1 - 20 of 35 Posts