Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kind of asked this same question in an earlier post, but I didn't get a single reply, & I'm wondering if that's my fault for rambling too much. So, I'm trying again. :)

We adopted two 5 1/2 week old sisters on Christmas Eve. We got them from a breeder who handles her babies regularly, so the girls are pretty good with people. Over the past several days, we've had several longish play/bonding sessions (in a bathroom, on the couch, or on a bed). The girls are climbing all over us, sitting on our shoulders, taking treats from our hands, and over the last 24 hours, have started napping on us, bruxing & boggling, and even rolling onto their sides while sleepy so we can rub their bellies. It would seem that things are going pretty well, except for one thing: the girls don't ever seem to want to come out of their cage! When we approach, they'll usually sniff our fingers through the cage bars (or at least poke their heads out from their hammock or space pod & sniff the air) & if we open the cage doors & offer a treat, they'll step out partway into our hand. But as soon as they grab the treat, they'll rush back the cage! If we don't have a treat, they might put their front paws on us and sniff around as if looking for a treat, and then they'll slink back into the cage before we can grab them. This means that if we want to have playtime, we have to scoop the girls up & carry them away from the cage. They don't put up much of a fuss when picked up (though they may try to squirm out of our grasp sometimes), but I feel bad "forcing" them out of their cage if they don't want to come out. One the other hand, I feel like we'll miss out on a lot of good bonding time if I don't "force" it a little. When the girls are out, they really seem to enjoy themselves, and don't act particularly fearful (though one is somewhat less outgoing than the other), but I still can't help but worry a little. Is scooping them out of the cage the right thing to do? If they continue to have fun once they're out, will they eventually get to the point where they are jumping into our arms?? Do they just need more time to adjust to us??

·
Registered
367 Posts
The girls are young and are in a whole new environment. I'm going to say they still need time to adjust being around you. All of my babies didn't particularly like to be taken out of their cage at first either, but now they all run to the bars for play time. It will get better as they grow used to you.

Something I've done with mine (not sure if others agree with this or not so take it with a grain of salt) when they are small is play with them a bit then put them back in the age a bit. Let them eat and drink roam around a bit then get them out again a while later. I try to do it a few times so they adjust to play time.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sometimes I'll keep my baby in my pocket, because she's the same way. I think it allows her to be out and social with me while still feeling secure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts