Rat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh, the breeder I got my girls from gave me another pregnant rat.
Lola was exposed to boys before I brought her home. I know this because now I'm pretty sure she's pregnant and I have carefully watched all of my rats to make sure the boys and girls are never together.
I'm excited about Cleo's babies, but Lola is now only about 3, maybe 4 months old, and I consider that too young. Both my roommate and I have noticed a significant weight gain in the little girl. At first we thought it was simply regular dumbo fat, since dumbos seem to be a little chubbier than standard rats. But her "fat" is more in her midsection, rather than at the hips, like Zeke, my other dumbo. And her fat is firm, not loose and squishy like Zeke. Her sides are now sticking way out and she kinda wobbles. She also has no interest in climbing anymore, which is weird because she's got monkey embedded on her DNA, I swear. She seems restless, but she's still eating and drinking normally. By all acounts it sounds to me like she's about to pop any day now.

I'm not mad about babies, really, I'm mad that this "breeder" never told me if she had been exposed. She did mention, however, that she thought she had missexed a baby from a previous litter, thinking it was a girl when it was really a boy. She took the rat out as soon as she found out, but it's very likely that Lola may have been impregnated. And if that's the case then Ashe, the little 5 week old, is likely at risk too.

So.......on another note, now that I've ranted.....anyone wanna line up for some possible rex dumbo babies? No clue who the father is, so I'm not really sure what we'll get, but Lola's a rex dumbo.

Ya know what'd be funny, in an odd, ironic sort of way? If I was completely wrong and she was just fat. Can vets do ultrasounds on rats?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Re: Frustrating, it's so frustrating!!

I thought you had to be pretty inexperienced to miss sex rats.
Check out rats needed homes which is stickyed in this section :)

·
Registered
432 Posts

Yeah, that breeder doesn't sound very experienced.

When there have been litters around here, we inexperienced people would play "sort the babies" every day and make piles of the boys and girls. It makes me wonder if this breeder is interacting with the babies very much?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well, I can say that all three girls were extremely comfortable with hands reaching in and touching them, and are very social and sweet, so I'm sure they were handled well when young.
I emailed the breeder last night, but she's at some Rodentfest in Pennsylvania and won't be back for a few more days. I'm expecting an apologetic email and an offer to pay any vet bills. And if she doesn't offer to pay any possible vet bills, I will request that she does >_< I just don't want this precious little girlie to die because someone "missexed" another baby.
In the event that all goes well (I'm praying and hoping like mad - I want HEALTHY babies!!) I plan to keep most of the babies. But I will be asking anyone who wants to adopt one to fill out a short application. I just have to write the dang application out first.
Upon checking Lola and Cleo this morning, Cleo doesn't look the slightest bit pregnant, but Lola looks like she swallowed a clementine whole. Lola's really fidgety and keeps moving around a lot, and she keeps rubbing her nose on things and with her hands. When I picked her up to try and soothe her, I could feel something like her stomach was twitching. Is this rat labor? I think she's having contractions. I don't think the poor baby has slept all night, but she hasn't licked the hair away from her nipples so I'm worried that's a sign that she's not going to care for the babies once they're born.
I am one hundred percent certain that Lola is pregnant. I've only had her a week, and she was much skinnier when I brought her home. >_< Unless she's got a weird fidgety blockage, she's got to be pregnant, right? What other options would there be?
My roommate's boyfriend (who has never bred or even owned rats) is trying to tell me she's not pregnant, she's just fat. Uh huh, yeah.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Okay, I finally got my camera to work and I've got some very incriminating girlie photos.
This sucks: I'm getting my wisdom teeth ripped out at 8am tomorrow morning and will be spending a few days recovering at my rat-hating parent's house. I have insisted that Lola come with me for support reasons, and in the event that Lola has the babies I think my sisters would be excited to see them. As much as I love and trust my roommates, I wanna keep her with me until she has them.
Okay, here we go:

Look at Lola's belly. Professional opinion: Pregnant or no?

This one is Cleo's massive nest in her house, see her nose?:

The girlies reading manga with their "Uncle Mikey":

Peek a boo!

Many people have asked me about Cleo's coloring, so here it is:

That's all for now!
Tell me what ya'll think!

Cleo's belly is starting to show =D

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

aww, they are adorable! One thing I'm worrying about with Lola, and I'm not too read up on this so forgive me if I'm totally off, is megacolon D: So yeah I would take her to the vet if possible to rule that out personally. She looks to me like a high white marking but then again, I don't really know too much about that. Has she been useing the bathroom regularly?

I hope she's just pregnate. Poor little girl pregnate so young. That breeder isn't very responsible.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Now that you mention it...
Yeah, she is high white, but the lady said she's never had a history of any of her rats having megacolon. She said the breeder that mentored her had bred megacolon out of her rats (if that's possible) and that's where she got her start, from those high white rats. Lola's mother was on site when I picked up the girls, she had just had a litter, and she looked perfectly healthy, as did two of Lola's littermates. I'm not going to rule it out, though. She is pooping normally, and I can't really tell if she's peeing or not because I have her on a kind of felt cloth blanket. She's also eating and drinking normally.

She's started cleaning the hair away from her nipples, so I'm pretty sure it is pregnancy.

Incidentlly, what are the warning signs of megacolon? I'll probably look them up later tonight.

·
Registered
181 Posts

I'd definately not be dealing with that breeder again. For it to happen once, ok.. but twice to the same person? I wonder if she is giving anyone else pregnant rats like she has you. Chances are it is likely. If there is any chance that they are pregnant, she should be warning people!

And if she can't even sex them right, or keep them seperated apparently, then I wouldn't trust her evaluation that there will be no megacolon. Sometimes you can take two rats who have had it 'bred' out of them, do a line breeding (like sibling to sibling) and it pop up. Or two rats who have never displayed it will have it in their offspring. Not enough is known about megacolon and what causes it to be absolutely certain it isn't in a family of high whites.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

she's too old to have megacolon i think. it might be possible but i doubt it. it normally starts to show when the babies start to eat hard food (anything that isn't just momma's milk). and they can't poop. if she's pooping she's fine. i think it will kill them in under a week as well. but its been a while since i read about it so i could be wrong. it would be something to look into. the other signs of megacolon, other then not pooping that i'm sure of is the bloated belly.

as for breeding megacolon out i'm not sure if that's completely possbile. its a recessive gene that carries it so it can hit some babies but not all. also, both parents would have to be a carrier and that gene can be carried on and so may not show up for many generations down the road. the gene responsbile for the high white is normally connected to the megacolon gene as well but not always. genes are tricky things to really manipulate and there is always room for error. to say that any one thing is for sure breed out of an animal 100% is risky. it could just be a dormant recessive carrier thingy.

so based on all that i'm fairly sure she's pregnant too. i hope all goes well and i'm sorry about your breeder. she certainly doesn't sound like she really knows what she's doing. have you ever asked for contact info for the person that mentored to double check her story? mis-sexing a rat by the time they're old enough to be pregnant sounds very fishy to me. that's not something even a novice is likely to mix up by then.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

Yeah, I just read of some RARE incidents of megacolor happening in a much lesser degree to older rats (one lived on to be two, but needed VERY INTENSE special care). I think this is very rare and she is pooping normally so I bet it's pregnacy. But that being said, you should be aware that it can happen in her babies. I hope not, I really really hope NOT but you should be aware it can happen.

I wouldn't get any more rats from that breeder. If she keeps giveing out pregnate babies and can't even sex her rats correctly, she doesn't deserve to be breeding D:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

*YAY!* After fussing over the possibilities of megacolon, I am pleased and VERY relieved to announce that Lola has constructed a BEAUTIFUL nest in the corner of her cage. Seriously, it's huge. I had a smile on my face the size of Lake Superior when I saw it.
With the megacolon case studies I've researched recently (recently meaning in the past hour) megacolon was found in only babies and all babies died by day 30 after birth. I only saw one case of a rat over that age having it, but it didn't really go into detail, it was just specifics on the diet it had to eat.
Yeah, Lola's pregnant. I'm 99.95% sure. I can clearly see her nipples and she's got a massive blanket nest in the corner. I think (hope) it'll be soon and hope even harder that everything goes the way that nature intended it. I'll still need some emotional support (thanks for all the advice, by the way. I really really really appreciate it, you guys). God, I'm gonna be a grammy soon! I'm only 19! What the heck?!
Yeah, needless to say, I'm not getting any more rats from her, and she will have no access to any of my babies. I at least know how to sex them correctly.
Which reminds me, ther' something I need to clear up: Lola wasn't the one missexed. There was a baby from Ashe's litter that this woman thought was a girl, but it was actually a boy whose googlies had dropped late, I guess. She removed the boy as soon as she noticed it, but it could have been days after he was able to impregnate somebody. I did warn her, though; she will likely have babies of her own soon.
I felt like a dumbass. When I first brought the girls home I was so impressed by how social they were than I refered a friend to her. Luckily I had time to revoke that reference before the friend contacted her.
So megacolon is still a possibility (not very likely, from the looks of it) and I will have her babies checked.
I think it'll be in the next couple days. =D That's not great because I'll be on pain pills for a few days >_<. I'll still take pictures though.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

Sorry to worry you ^^;; I didn't mean to. Hope the birth goes smoothly and you have wonderful happy babies!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=188532515

Okay, this is the site where I have more info on the girls and their pregnancies. Lola will likely have her babies by the beginning of next week, give or take a few days. I will post pictures on this myspace as soon as they are born.
The breeder said that the missexed male was a russian ble standard, so babies will probably be russian blue, patchwork rexes are possible, likely dumbos.
There's an adoption application on the site, under a blog title "Adoption Application!!" I won't be accepting applications before a baby is born, but you're more than welcome to add me on your friend list or send me a message.
Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Frustrating, it's so frustrating!! (WE HAVE BABIES!

MEGACOLON BE DAMNED!!!

=D Lola had eleven beautiful babies around 4:30 this morning, and all 11 of them survived the night!

This is Lola's "Mom, just get them out!" pose =)

Lola's such a good mommy. She went right to work doing everything she's supposed to do. I gave her some chicken (her favorite food) and scrambled eggs this morning, and I swear I've never seen her eat so fast! She's already chugged nearly half her waterbottle! =) She's sooooo tired, but not once has she stopped caring for her babies. I'm so proud. *sniff!*
What makes today even better is that today is my grandmother's 72nd birthday! She's staying with us for the week and I just had to wake her up this morning when I saw Lola had her babies. She doens't like rats much, but she did say that it was a pretty cool birthday present!

I can't wait until they start pigmenting! :eek:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Upon further inspection of the babies, it seems they are all dumbos. I'm only assuming, since I'm kinda jumping the gun and I lokoed at the little ear nubbins on their heads....they all look like their ears are pretty far down, so I'm assuming they're all dumbos. Anyway.....
I jumped the gun again and attempted to sex them....which proved to no avail. I did notice a difference between some of the rats, but as of yet I have no idea which is which. Hello, they aren't even 24 hours old yet!
I'm just getting too excited. I can tell Lola really wanted to get out of the cage for some time alone, but I heard not to take the mother out of the cage for at least 24 hours so she can bond with her babies. All the babies have full bellies (I love the little milk line!!) so in such an occasion would a few minutes of free range be okay?
These little guys are gonna be so hard to give to other homes. I can already feel the hreatbreak. They've already survived this long, all eleven of them, so odds are they'll stay alive, right?
And of course, still keeping an eye out for megacolon. The buck wasn't a high white, and didn't carry megacolon, so the babies are safe, right? I heard babies can only get it if both parents are carriers...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.