Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now fostering two males who are brothers, Mars and Tune. Mars is a big lazy boy, he is a wee bit bossy with his brother. Tune is very curious but sweet. Keep in mind they are very new to me, so their personalities could still change.
Last night Mars was at the cage door, giving kisses. He crawled into my hands and the turned around to be let back down into the cage and bit me. Not a little nip, and he held on for a second. He was squeaking as I tried to remove him from my finger.

He showed no signs of aggression that I was aware of, but that probably goes without saying. I wouldn't pick up a rat who was puffing up, lying low to the ground, or clicking. He had licked my fingers moments before. I'm afraid to handle him for this very reason. The bite was bleeding a lot, never had this bad of a bite from a rat :( I moved the cage into a different room from my ladies after this, which was suggested by the owner of the rescue, as that could cause aggressive behavior in unnuetered males.

I'm having a hard time getting the courage to handle him...if he bites me again my girlfriend will have us bring him back to the rescue, which I don't want to do. I really want to get these boys well socialized because I believe they will make great pets for someone. What are the best ways to avoid being bitten? I've been told to let him come out of the cage on his own, I always make sure to wash my hands after handling the girls. I'm much more educated in female aggression, and I'm starting to wonder if I should have fostered females,

·
Registered
952 Posts
Did you have your hands in the cage? He might see you as an invader and want to defend his home. Rat Daddy has a wonderful immersion thread that helped me out with Shakespeare who had been bittie in the beginning. You can try gloves like gardning gloves durring immersion training to prevent him biting your fingers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts