Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tiny four week old male babies, which I picked up yesterday are very trusting of me and are enjoying lots of snuggles and scritches. My worry is that they don't want to eat much unless I'm holding it (using both soft foods and oxbow) and they want to hide under my hair or in my clothes, but are very nervous about going into the open at all without me even in their cage. I don't want to scare them, but I'd like them to be confident about eating from bowls and running around and playing like any rat should without being nervous that I'm not right there. What is the best way to help foster their confidence as they grow? Also have some baby pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also they don't seem very close despite being from the same litter, and it's not warm but they don't seem to be sleeping together? I had them fall asleep together on my stomach under a blanket and again under my shirt but in the cage they sleep in different hammocks?
Is this simply an issue of changes (ie new environment with no momma and less siblings) they haven't been fighting aside from just play wrestling and the occasional power grooming- should I be concerned or just see how it goes from here? Sorry about a second post guys I couldn't seem to find the edit button

·
Registered
112 Posts
First of all, what sweet little buggers you've got :)
As for play fighting and power grooming- perfectly normal. They're settling dominance, and also well, rats will be rats and they do that stuff all the time ;)
Not all rats will sleep together, it's not something to be concerned about, no worries. Also, while I've never owned male rats, female animals usually form much tighter bonds with each other, while males are more loners. That's just instinct and habit :)

Also, don't fret. You're right, they are in a brand new environment with new smells and noises and sights. There's a new routine, and suddenly the fluffy warmness they knew isn't gone per-say, but different.
My rats hid and were terrified of mefor the first week or so I had them- it took me a half hour just to get them to eat a treat from my hand. One of those same rats is currently sitting on my head eating a cheerio after trying to eat my earring cuff and my choker (Goth problems T-T).

Just give them time to warm up to you and to thier new home :) I'd say they are remarkably comfortable and close with you already with you already. The open, in their primal instinct, signifies hawks and foxes and other animals that want to gobble them up. They're afraid, it's okay. My rats when I first got them hid in their igloo, darted out, grabbed as much food as they could, and ran back to hide.
You have nothing to worry about :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts