Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys foster rats? What are your experiences? How long did you have them? Do you house them separately from your rats (if you have your own rats) and are they in a separate room too? I was thinking about fostering some rats from a local shelter but I don’t know much about it.

·
Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
2,388 Posts
Any of you guys foster rats? What are your experiences? How long did you have them? Do you house them separately from your rats (if you have your own rats) and are they in a separate room too? I was thinking about fostering some rats from a local shelter but I don’t know much about it.
I foster rats! :giggle: I've been doing it for 18 months now. I didn't have rats before, and my rescue gave me the cages and all the accessories. I have fostered over 50 since I started. They have their own cages, and all stay in the same room.

Most I only had for 4-6 weeks, and homes were found for them fairly quickly. Babies go quicker than older rescues. Adults with behavior issues can be a challenge. Giving medication and monitoring their health is another big part. Mostly it's time. They need socializing, a lot. In order to go to a forever home, we try to make sure they are safe, can be handled, are not afraid of people, and hopefully will settle in and be a part of their new family. And vet visits. The rescue pays for medical expenses, but you have to be able to drive to their vet's office. I drive about 50 miles round trip.

Check with the local rescue and see how they handle things. It's a big commitment, and fosters are in short supply. If you want to do this, it would be a huge help to the rescue!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I foster rats! :giggle: I've been doing it for 18 months now. I didn't have rats before, and my rescue gave me the cages and all the accessories. I have fostered over 50 since I started. They have their own cages, and all stay in the same room.

Most I only had for 4-6 weeks, and homes were found for them fairly quickly. Babies go quicker than older rescues. Adults with behavior issues can be a challenge. Giving medication and monitoring their health is another big part. Mostly it's time. They need socializing, a lot. In order to go to a forever home, we try to make sure they are safe, can be handled, are not afraid of people, and hopefully will settle in and be a part of their new family. And vet visits. The rescue pays for medical expenses, but you have to be able to drive to their vet's office. I drive about 50 miles round trip.

Check with the local rescue and see how they handle things. It's a big commitment, and fosters are in short supply. If you want to do this, it would be a huge help to the rescue!!!
Thank you so much! This was very helpful. I’m definitely going to contact my local small animal rescue.
Also, how do you handle free roaming? My current rats free roam my entire room. I’ve rat proofed it of course but I’m afraid of having two separate mischiefs and having bitten toes and tails from climbing on the cages.

·
Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
2,388 Posts
I free roam on the bed in the spare room. They respect the edges, don't normally fall off or jump. They can't get lost or make me chase them. I use a cat house to transport them, put hides and fun things out, put on my rat robe and sit or lay on the bed with them while they explore and play. I currently have 3 groups, so each morning I take Sadie and her girls first for 30-45 minutes, then Fawn and her girls for 30-45 minutes with The Bean and Taz. In the evening I take my Twilights to the Rattic and let them roam for a couple of hours with The Bean and Taz.

Reactions: KimmyKim
1 - 5 of 5 Posts