Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - Having some bad luck this week. Just had one rat neutered today to remove a tumour. Now I've found something on his brother. I was petting Meemer this evening when I noticed a small hard lump on his side. It's a little smaller than a pea and is hard, with one end that feels almost angular/sharp. It moves with the skin and doesn't seem to be attached underneath. The skin over it looks slightly shiny with a red/yellow colouring underneath. Does this sound like it could be a cyst or an abscess? Or something more sinister?

·
Registered
244 Posts
It could be a cyst or an abscess. I would take Meemer in for your vet to take a look. Often, vets will do a fine needle aspirate to find out what types of cells are inside the lump or bump. Once the cells are examined under a microscope, your vet can determine if it's an abscess or a cyst or something else.

Sorry to hear you're having all of the troubles lately with your ratties. At least this problem is probably not too serious. Let us know what your vet says!

Sending positive, healing wishes for Meemer.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meemer came along to the vet with Muffin so I could get the vets opinion on the lump. It's small and a bit squishy now and the vet thinks it's probably something that will open up and drain on its own so it is a wait and see on this one. Possibly I could help it along with some warm water compresses.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts