Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I found a small rodent on my lawn yesterday, about 2 hours before sunset underneath one of my bird feeders writhing around. No idea how it got there. I almost stepped on it, but saw it in time... judging by the size of its head and feet, I’m guessing it’s a baby rat.
I offered it some water, and some soaked cockroach powdered food (mostly grains and stuff) and it started trying to eat and drink almost immediately. I offered it some rinsed-off and soaked corn tortilla chips at a later feeding, which it seemed to really enjoy. It survived the night and was keen on working down some breakfast

it’s in a small critter-keeper for the time, with paper towels, a bottle cap of soggy mash, and a den I fashioned out of a toiletpaper roll and lined with cotton balls.

It is not fearful of me, and doesn’t try to escape when handled. Instead, it would much prefer to eat, snuggle, and sleep. I think it likes the warmth and contact, since it no longer got its siblings or mom.

1) is this a rat or a mouse? I will help it regardless, but I’m curious.

2) what food should I be offering it to eat? I’ve read they can wean as early as their eyes being opened.

3) what else would it need in order to thrive?

Here are two videos of the critter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
😂 4 days waiting for that crappy reply??
I’ll remember that if I ever find a human baby in need ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, saw this late. Looks like a baby roof rat to me. In texas where I live, no one would help rehab wise as they are considered pests by most. I have a three month old baby roof rat that we saved from a glue trap. I hand raised her and took her to the vet and everything. She's a pet now, a real shoulder rat. I don't know if you let your baby go or not but if you have it they like seeds, nuts, berries and basically all fruits and vegetables. They should not have dry corn, raw sweet potatoes or dry beans as well as citrus especially if male. My girl also eats oxbow young rat food. Hope that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts