Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found a tumor on Mouse, it's maybe as wide as a nickel and feels soft, and is close to her back left leg kinda medial. I probably didn't notice it sooner because she is over-weight and her chub kinda masked it. Mouse is one of my megacolon babies, and is 2 years and almost 2 months old. She's way beyond exceeded her life expectancy since she's had MC since she was less than 2 weeks old, but medication and other daily treatments have seemed to prolong her life. She also had an emergency spay earlier this year when mycoplasma was causing her uterus to bleed.

I don't think I should have a 2 year old rat go through elective surgery even though she seems healthy.. but she's already fought so much and lived so long despite her odds that I feel bad I can't do SOMETHING for her. Is there anything I should do? I will be giving her turkey tail, flax oil, wheatgrass powder and avoiding sugar everyday and hope that helps fight growth speed. Is that the most I can do at this point?

I'm taking all 4 babies to the vet tomorrow for respiratory issues acting up, so I guess I can ask him what his opinion is.

What about something like cabergoline/galastop? Would that be helpful even if the tumor hasn't been removed yet? http://ratguide.com/meds/central_nervous_system_drugs/cabergoline.php

What's your guy's opinions on almost senior ratties with tumors? Should I consider surgery? She might still have 6 months or more left.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I wonder if this would help. I've read a few articles here and there about how cancer cells thrive on acidic foods. I came across something a while ago that stated that drinking more alkaline based water could help treat cancerous cells. I wonder if you were to do a ph test on the water what it would come out as? I know some water, even some bottled waters, are more acidic then they are alkaline. It could help some if you think about how much water mammals consume everyday. Testing the ph is easy, you can either use a ph testing kit (because it comes with the color chart if you need it and the tube) or you can use iodine drops. I'm not sure what the ph of all of the different waters are, but I think there are charts that you can look at if you were to search it on google. =P

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh hm I wonder if a bottled water might be better and more alkaline then? We live in an area with hard water, so our animals get filtered water, but I don't know how much our filter gets out. I was just trying to figure out the pH of our water recently to know how it might affect gardening. I'll have to look into that, thanks! I'm not sure if it's cancerous or just a benign fatty tumor, it's pretty soft. But it wouldn't hurt at all to just change water if it could help in any way.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The darker the color of blue for the ph test the better is what I was told. You don't want it to be too dark. I know acidic water really effects plants and fish though. I have a freshwater aquarium, and when the water became too acidic the plants started getting soft and mushy and pretty much disintegrated. The fish became sick more easily as well, and our crayfish couldn't shed.

If water with too much acidity has that sort of effect on my aquarium I bet it probably has some sort of effect on our fuzzy guys as well. I'm not sure how much a filter would do either, but I would assume it has some sort of an impact on the quality of the water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts