Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat was trying to kill a baby mouse in our yard about 45 minutes ago. It is a cold windy rainy night. The mouse is very small, fully furred, open eyed, and can run fast. I picked the mouse up to see if it was injured and placed it in a cage. The little bugger bit me. Why it was out in the yard by itself is beyond me.

I have no clue where mice hide their nests and don't know how to return the mouse to mom. It's not injured and knows how to stay still when threatened. Do I return the mouse to my yard in this weather? If I do, will he/she find it's home? If not, is it old enough to eat solids?

·
Registered
673 Posts
First, I would try 2 c if she/he wants warm milk fed from a eye dropper. If not, then try a tiny bit of rat food soaked in water. I'm not sure abt the outside inside wild or domestic thing tho��Good luck with your mouse!! I've had a few of these ordeals myself

·
Registered
208 Posts
At that age it is probably old enough to eat solid food, and uninjured I would probably just return it outside (away from the cat! Lol) in the morning when the weather is calmer

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I let the mouse go where I found it and set out a cage with food and bedding. My concern is the mouse could be carrying hantavirus. Although the risk is low it's not worth compromising my family or my rats (I have newborn rat pups at the moment).

Hopefully the mouse makes it back to her mom.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I use iodine on any bite or cut to prevent infection but also make sure your tetanus shots are up to date, just in case.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
If eyes are open and running around, it is probably old enough to eat solids and fend pretty well for itself. It could also find its way back to its mom after you let it back out if it needs to.

Definitely agree with Rat Daddy, make sure your tetanus shot is up to date and for sure go get it if it's not since the little thing bit you.

Also, do not feed milk to almost any animal. Cow milk is very hard to digest for most animals and can cause upset stomachs which can lead to dehydration. Just about the #1 rule of animal rehabbers is when people find wild animals that need rehabilition, do not feed them or even give them water before taking them to a rehabber. But I've known people who have found very very young baby rats and mice, younger than your little guy, and hand raised them to adulthood as pets. But cow milk is a verrryyy bad idea, and feeding an animal food if you have no idea the nutritional requirements could kill them or make them very sick and put them in worse condition than when you found them. Just though I'd add that, even though I know you already let it go.

I'm sure the baby will be fine if there were no cat bites. Hopefully it found its way back to it's family. It was so nice of you to try to save it from the cat! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts