Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Today after the ratties got their first ever bath Dan noticed a lump under the right arm of one of our female rats. I'm not quite sure if it is an abscess or a tumor, as I have not had personal experience with either. This is my first "lump." We are calling the vet to make an appointment tomorrow. I hope they can fit us in anywhere in the next day or two (crosses fingers). Needless to say I am pretty worried but I don't think it's too bad. I think it's probably a benign mamary tumor. It is about the size of a large pea at the moment but it appears to only be attached to the skin. When I pull her skin out the lump goes with it. I'll feel a lot better once she has seen a vet......I just have knots in my stomach :(

I guess I'm just posting this to vent, or posting hoping that some one will say it sounds like an abscess. I'd still let my vet handle the abscess treatment (gives me the willies thinking of attempting it myself) but I'd feel much better knowing it might be an abscess.

Sigh.... I need to breathe. I can't feel so stressed until she gets checked out. Maybe some tea will help. :?:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Mopy, I am honestly not saying this just to make you feel better...but I had a similar experience and it did turn out to be just a benign mammary tumour, which was easily removed. It's a good sign that it moves with the skin. Good thing you caught it early. Wishing you luck, and let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I found a big lump on the side of one of my girls a couple weeks ago... same circumstances, it moved with the skin, size of a pea and such. We went to the vet, who shaved the hair around it and it turned out just to be a scab. We were prescribed some antibiotic rinse to keep it from getting infected, and over time it fell off, and she's fine. I swear though, from feeling it, I never would have guessed it was a scab... it just didn't feel like one to me, I was convinced it was an abscess/tumor.

I guess all I'm saying is take her to the vet, do all you can so that you know for sure, but there's still hope it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
My vets rule with lumps and bumps is 'if you can get your fingers all the way around - there shouldn't be a problem'. If it's inside the layers of the skin, not attached to anything - it can be removed. I've always found this to be the case (personal experience)

I've just had one of my old girls have 3 of these buggers removed and I've got to take another one in this week for the same sort of lump under her arm - I sympathise.

And anyway, like other have said - it may turn out to be an abcess after all. You never know.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called the vet today, and they gave me an appointment for Wednesday this week YAY. :) It's my day off!! The woman I spoke to said it sounds like a benign mammary tumor as well, so I'm feeling a lot better already.

They said depending on the circumstances a tumor removal can be up to 200$ yikes. I may have to discuss getting all my females spayed (there are currently 7) but I don't want to go through the stress of more lumps later.

Thanks for the replies everyone, and I'll keep you updated. I think everything will be fine though

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey everyone. About a day after I posted this I noticed a swollen bump on one of my males ex-testicles. Talk about luck right :roll: anyhoo I brought them BOTH in (kinda hoping I'd get a two for one deal lol) but, of course, I did not.

The new vet was very nice and friendly. She made a point to tell me she was putting on gloves not because she's afraid of rats but because she's allergic to the scratches. She answered all my questions, and agreed to see Avacado (my male) even though he wasn't scheduled for an appointment.

She is pretty sure the lump on Teto is a benign mammary tumor, and I scheduled a removal for tomorrow....I think poor Teto is nervous. She thinks everything will be fine.

As for the lump on Avacado (which i highly suspected was an abscess) she put him under while I was there with him then squeezed like heck. Well i really gross string of thick greenish liquid shot straight out a few feet. Avacado won 14 days of antibiotics!!!

I gotta tell ya from what I saw I don't know that I'd ever really be able to treat an abscess myself, it's completely disgusting!

So now i'm $168 more poor, and that doesn't include the cost of the surgery tomorrow (approx $150). That really doesn't matter at the moment though I just need plenty of good vibes for my girl for tomorrow!

My Rattie
Her Name is Teto. She is super active and a bit of a problem child but she makes up for it with supreme sweetness. Send her some lovin!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
MopyDream44 said:
As for the lump on Avacado (which i highly suspected was an abscess) she put him under while I was there with him then squeezed like heck. Well i really gross string of thick greenish liquid shot straight out a few feet. Avacado won 14 days of antibiotics!!!
well, that's the future im hoping for :roll:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:::UPDATE:::

Teto went into surgery this morning, and the vet said everything went well. They keep all their small animals overnight (just in case) so I can't see her until tomorrow but I can't wait :)

My poor Teto probably thinks I traded her in or something :( I hope she's not sad/scared.

I actually still don't know how much it cost. We only got an estimate, which was between 140 -240 :( I'm assuming it's on the lower end because it went well...........sigh............ the world needs more vets who will care for ratties but at a somewhat lower price. Don't they know the typical rat owner has more than two?? :) that's my rant about that but i can't be too mad cause my baby's ok :) YAY!!!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
MopyDream44 said:
Don't they know the typical rat owner has more than two??
Of course they do, that's why they charge so much o_O

And good news about Teto :) Give her extra snuggles when she gets home tomorrow

1 - 12 of 12 Posts