Rat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this might help out some people! Just saw this now while ordering food for the babies. You can get 25% off both sizes (3lb or 20lb) until 11/3/2015 from Drs. Foster and Smith website. It might be only for the US or North America, not sure if this can help anyone living elsewhere unfortunately. Stock up on food for your little ones and save a good chunk of cash!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6067+20836+20843+16965&pcatid=16965

:)

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Yeah awesome sale :)

That site is also the best place to buy oxbow even when it is not on sale. It is the cheapest I've found it (for the US)
Always get the 20lb and save even more money!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah awesome sale :)

That site is also the best place to buy oxbow even when it is not on sale. It is the cheapest I've found it (for the US)
Always get the 20lb and save even more money!
Me too! ;D I saw that it was also an ADDITIONAL 25% off so I thought I for sure had to let you guys know! I always get the 20lb too. So bummed they don't make the 40lb anymore!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I so wish there was a 40lb! I go through so much food lol

Ill warn everyone though, some sites may still advertise/sell 40lb bags. I emailed the company and they suggested I DO NOT buy the 40lb as they no longer make them and any out there would have reached their expiration date.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is awesome! Thank you! From what my understanding is, Dr's Fosters and Smith contact an animals vet for confirmation on RX stuff. Is it correct that they will not contact your vet (since this food ins't rx)? Also, how long do you think a 20lb bag will last for two female rats?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
This is awesome! Thank you! From what my understanding is, Dr's Fosters and Smith contact an animals vet for confirmation on RX stuff. Is it correct that they will not contact your vet (since this food ins't rx)? Also, how long do you think a 20lb bag will last for two female rats?
They only need an RX on some meds. All the other stuff in their shop you can just purchase normally. Food, toys, etc...

It is said that a rat eats about 1lb of food a month give or take. But so many things come into play- how active they are, how old they are, other treats and food given, etc... But it is a good way to atleast guess.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my case, I have a lot of hoarders, so a good bunch of kibbles get thrown out during each cleaning becuse of tiny stashes hidden around the cage. If I find a stash, I try to save it, but I know a lot gets thrown away. I just ordered a new bag and am very close to running out of the last of the food. I opened this last 20lb bag on 6/22 (I always write down the date I open bags on the bag) so it has lasted me over 4 months to feed about 7 rats. I will probably run out in a week.

I like to fill a large ziploc bag with kibbles and then reseal the giant bag and get as much air out as possible, tape it up, and keep it in a cool dry place then refill the ziploc when I run out and reseal the big bag again. I think it stays pretty fresh. My rats never seem to have a problem with eating it, even when it's almost run out.

The only time I needed an RX was for buying heartworm meds for my dog. But I could buy flea meds with no RX. If you do need to buy medication (only certain meds need an RX too) they will ask for your vet info and contact your vet to confirm the RX then send it out to you. Very easy!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thought this might help out some people! Just saw this now while ordering food for the babies. You can get 25% off both sizes (3lb or 20lb) until 11/3/2015 from Drs. Foster and Smith website. It might be only for the US or North America, not sure if this can help anyone living elsewhere unfortunately. Stock up on food for your little ones and save a good chunk of cash!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6067+20836+20843+16965&pcatid=16965

:)
Lucky Yankees as usual we Canucks get the royal shaft especially with this brand (it must be considered a premium "Cadillac" brand), its $16.99 CDN for the small bag at my local pet-piracy retailer. 2 whole brands sold in 1 sizes of bag. the cheaper is $7.99 for 1lb and basically looks identical to hard cat food. What is it about cat food that is not good for rats? Can't be the ash is it? I just feed them more fresh foods/leftovers from what we prepare for dinner saves $ over the retail rip-off

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
What is it about cat food that is not good for rats?
Cat food has far far far too much protein for rats. Rats & cats have very different nutritional and diet needs. Cats are obligate carnivores while rats are omnivores.

Rats fed too much protein will develop serious skin issues, itching which will leads to scratches and scabs.
Long term it will cause serious health issues. Less energy and kidney problems.

An adult rat should have between 14-16% protein. Babies should have 18%-20% (I prefer the lower numbers myself) There should be no cat foods with that low of protein.

If you absolutely can't feed rat food to your rats, then a VERY HIGH QUALITY and VERY LOW PROTEIN dog food is better. Usually senior formulas have lesser protein.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I guess the extra protein would have been fine after birth then but that's it. The one box of hard cat food stated only 8%, must have been cheap crap I guess. lol So not too many lean meats then? I have heard so many different opinions on what to give/not to give it makes my head spin. I feed them chicken and fish from time to time. not often. No red meats though. I was usually sticking to the theory that if its good for us in moderation its fine for them. When you mention those percentages do you mean per serving or total daily intake of the food they eat? Thx

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I guess the extra protein would have been fine after birth then but that's it. The one box of hard cat food stated only 8%, must have been cheap crap I guess. lol So not too many lean meats then? I have heard so many different opinions on what to give/not to give it makes my head spin. I feed them chicken and fish from time to time. not often. No red meats though. I was usually sticking to the theory that if its good for us in moderation its fine for them. When you mention those percentages do you mean per serving or total daily intake of the food they eat? Thx
Yeah just like with our food there is alot of different opinions out there. lol

I supplement protein until about 6 months. They are still growing until 6-8 months.

Everything in moderation is pretty much ok to be honest. We just have to remember rats are quite small lol.

And I meant daily intake.

I posted some food info on this thread recently:
http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?290513-Contrasting-opinions-on-what-not-to-give-your-rat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts