Rat Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Berki seems to get cystic abscesses pretty often that I pop. They don't get oozy and pus-y, but instead just turn into firm little zit like things that I can squeeze out. But when I was doing a check on the rats today, I felt a small round firm lump in the area where his testicles should be (he is neutered) on the left side. I'm assuming it's some kind of abscess but it's much deeper than his other typical little cysts he gets that tend to be very shallow. This one feels deeper and kind of is close to his penis area which makes me nervous. We had to put to sleep one of our old men earlier this year because he had a cancerous infected/ abscessed tumor growing right next to his penis which the vet thought would eventually cause blockage leading to maybe kidney failure and of course a lot of extra pain.

It feels too deep and small for warm compresses to maybe help.. Should I try antibiotics possibly? Or just keep an eye on it and take him to the vet if it gets larger? I hate the "wait and see" period when I notice one of my babies may be starting to have a health problem..

1 - 1 of 1 Posts