Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My older girl Hope has always been the skinniest when comparing her to her companion Casiss. But now that she is older she looks a lot worse. It's not bad enough that you can see ribs but you can definitely see she is not in healthy shape. I posted pics of her on a different thread to get her coloring so if you can find that maybe you can see how skinny she is. I'm not sure if you can though.I just worry about her and wonder what it might be. I'd go to a vet if I knew it was something more than just elderly weight loss. Any help and advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know it's probably annoying to hear me go on about this but I am still worried. If you know anything please speak up.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Going to the vet is not a bad idea, to rule out infection or something of that nature.

However, feeding her some higher caloric foods can help. Things like avocado, most love it. Make some warm cereal for her using soy baby formula. She may like the formula it even by itself. banana's are a higher caloric fruit she may enjoy. Nuts and seeds are also something she may enjoy. There is also nutrical, a paste you can get for dogs and cats that is very high in calories.

You can use things like ensure, but that usually has quite a bit of sugar in it and I don't like risking olds ones with any glucose spikes.

·
Registered
395 Posts
When my rats are getting on the thinner side due to age or illness I feed them my recipe I call Rat Mash. With rats who are able to eat on their own without assist feeding, I soak lab blocks in filtered water, mash them up, and add to the recipe below:

Rat Mash

Baby brown rice cereal
Instant quinoa cereal (optional--I had this on hand)
Baby beef food (14% protein)
Filtered water or almond milk or soy milk
Olive oil (or flax seed oil, etc.)
Acidophillus (to help aid in digestion)
Ground flax or oat bran (for fiber to help with poops)
Molasses (just a couple of drops)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts