Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Syd, my firends white male rat, has this habbit of licking you NON stop the whole time your petting him, and alot of the time your not. I say its a ridiculous idea, but he (friend) wants to break syd of the habit. Does anyone have any suggestions? And, does anyone know what could cause this sort of thing?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Both of our girls do the same thing. It seems like an affectionate thing to me. Why would he want to break him of showing affection?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
tell him to suck it up... its what ratties do.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Both my guys do it too. I figure I must be dirty or they wouldn't be cleaning me. Besides, there is nothing that comes close to cleanliness than being licked clean by a rat.

It grosses my wife, who never holds the rats, out too. I've come to the conclusion we fall into one of two categories:

1. Those who love rats and tolerate everything they do. Including cleaning out your ears and nose for you. Not to mention grooming the corners of your mouth for any food you may have left behind, intentionally or not.

and

2. Those who don't.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
As rats are social animals - they groom each other regularily.

A sign of a rat accepting you and trusting you is, in fact, to groom you. This is what the licking signifies.

I don't think it would be fair to the rat to stop it doing what nature is telling it to do.

Like crapola says, tell your friend to suck it up and enjoy the fact that he's got a rat that loves him lol

·
Registered
10,641 Posts

I love licky rats...its awesome!!

They are accepting us as colony members, quite an honour!! Tell your friend rat saliva has less germs than a human by far and a dog :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
That's so cute. :)
I would love for my future rats to lick me.

He should be happy that his rat loves him so. As long as these licks aren't turning into bites, I don't see why anyone would want to break their pet of the habit.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Panda is an obsessive licker too :D It makes me happy when he "gives me kissies" and it helps other people get over their fear of ratties faster. Who can be afraid of such a cute furry thing when it's licking you like a puppy?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
ozzy is very licky, especially when you are clipping her nails, if she doesn't like it she'll start licking you to try and cute you out so you'll stop and let her go back to sleep, until she realizes it won't work, it's so cute, i love their little tongues

·
Registered
227 Posts
My girl Jezebel does it too. The other two, Pandora and Elsabeth, do it just a little bit.

It doesn't bother me at all, which is funny, because I hate when dogs do it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From batas friend : I wouldnt mind if it was just bouts of it, but seriously, know matter what, he doesnt stop. He sits next to me and licks. He lays on me and licks. But the ENTIRE time hes out, hes licking.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Sounds like my Bastian. He licks to calm himself down at times as well (you can tell those are different than his love you licks. He even does this to the vet). I think it's just something that is ingrained in them. I wouldn't want to change Bastian's licking habit for the world.

If you think it may be a nervous habit you may want to try rescue remedy if it really bugs you. Not saying that would cure his licking habit but it may calm him down enough to make him think he doesn't have to continuously lick to be loved and accepted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
thats not good none of mine ever did that before your rat probobly needs a salt lick or something

·
Registered
155 Posts
wrong that means the rat is affectionate towards her and loves her.

·
Registered
12 Posts
no all of my rats love me and they dont do that. i mean come on they have to love me for not letting them be snake food like their broters and sisters

·
Registered
155 Posts
they must not love you alot then.

·
Registered
12 Posts
no they love me whenever i open there drawer to let them out they get exsited and jump

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Charlet_2OO7 said:
thats not good none of mine ever did that before your rat probobly needs a salt lick or something
Don't give rats salt licks.... ever....

That is seriously bad for a rat. It might be good for a horse or a deer but no not rats.

·
Registered
94 Posts
licking and nibbling are so sweet when they do that.. mine do that to me all the time... i just had my fist rat boggle today it was sooooooo sweet.. Edmond loves be petted under his chin and around his ears and neck actually that a sign of affection in rats if you watch them.. they groom around the ears and neck and chin..

·
Registered
155 Posts
pookie, my blue rat loves to be scrtched like a dog and if i have my other hand next to her she will start licking it. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts