Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I have two boys named Remi and Atlas who are about 8 month old brothers and I noticed that soon after I adopted them (6 months), they starting displaying dominance behaviors. I wasn't worried and figured they'd settle it amongst themselves, but I'm becoming increasingly worried that the situation is becoming too stressful for Remi.

Remi has always been very cautious around his brother around things like food ect. and often refuses to let Atlas assert his dominance over Remi even though it's clear he's the more dominant one of the two. This results in chasing and Remi very frantically squealing/screaming and throwing himself into the sides of the cage in a desperate attempt to get away. It was (and still is) very distressing to watch but I figured he'd give in eventually and it'd calm down, except it hasn't and this now happens no less than 2 nights a week.

Note that I don't think Atlas is aggressive, he doesn't chase excessively or bother his brother in any other way, it's just the issue of Remi not being willing to submit when it comes to chasing.

Is this still fine, or can/should I do something about it now?
I'm assuming separating them would do more harm than good so at this point I'm thinking that getting Remi neutered would be my logical next step? Any advice please?

·
Super Moderator
181 Posts
Ooo definitely sounds like hormonal aggression.
If it continues I think neutering is one of the only options, you may want to discuss this with your local vet. You could probably get a phone call with one without having to bring them in and pay for an assessment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts