Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If it's broken it could likely heal incorrectly and may cut off the blood flow or never be able to bear weight. If she's acting normal it likely wasn't a stroke. She could have twisted it or sprained it. You could keep her from moving around by moving her into a 'hospital cage' of some sort.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Blood clot could cut of blood flow, or nerve flow, causing paralysis...

But I'm no vet.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
do you have access to vet-wrap or other similar types of adhesive medical bandage? vet-wrap is rather stretchy and sticks well to itself. you may be able to bandage the leg to her body in a resting position so that it will heal in a more natural position than floppy behind her body.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Where have you come up with the diagnosis of burst blood vessel?

If its not bothering her and there's no real swelling I wouldn't worry much.

A break generally swells up a lot from the internal damage (closed fracture) and even though Sebastian's was a bacterial infection it looks like a break.

A sprain can still swell up, so its possible she pulled a muscle in her haunch. Leave it for a few days and see if there's improvement. Often a vet cannot help with a break anyways and the rat is just put into a one-level cage to restrict movement, and left to heal. If there's swelling there are OTC things that help, but I don't see enough swelling to warrant it.

The fact that she is tucking it under her body is a good sign. Its like she dinged the nerve and the feeling is coming back. :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
do you have any other small cage you can separate her in? if she's possibly injured she should not be jumping around with her cagemates. see if you can isolate her and then the bandages should stay on a little longer. you can also apply "bitter apple" or "bitter orange" - it's a spray that keeps them from eating bandages.

did you try pinching/squeezing her toes/feet? this can help you decide if she even has any feeling left in her toes. if she doesn't, it could be a serious neurological issue.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
OK sounds like you should just leave her alone to heal if you cannot take her to a vet. There's no point giving her Motrin or Infant's Tylenol for swelling since its probably too late.

The cage where she has her friends, does it have a ramp that you can tie up or remove so she cannot get to the next level, and she has no choice but to stay on the bottom? Thats what I would do if she seems depressed. Sounds like a nasty haemotoma, and I wouldn't poke at it anymore, just watch for signs of improvement or worsening.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok an update on Powder. She is recovering slowly but doing better. She is able to use her entire leg now and push down on it. There are very very slight movement in her toes but not much and they still look limp but it's improvement. I feel bad because I can tell she is depressed being by herself in a small cage but hopefully she will get better soon!

·
Registered
407 Posts
My Nicodemus had similar symptoms a while back, but with him it turned out to be a fracture.

The swelling was horrid - he meeped so piteously...I was sure that he'd be messed up forever. However, he healed amazingly. Its only been a few short weeks and he is using his leg way better - swelling is gone (thank you to our vet - she gave us some anti-inflammatory meds).

Nic was pretty upset about being in the 'sick tank' alone too. Matter of fact, he was SO upset that i worried about possible permanent emotional damage (lol - im a worry wort). But he is fine, happy and just as ratty as ever!

Good luck to you and yours

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't really see the swelling as much anymore. I'm surprised that swelling like that can cut off the nerves. I guess rats are just very fragile.. I know she is doing a lot better now.. but as sad as sad can be.. She shows no signs of pain unless i accidently squeeze the point of swelling which is how I found it to begin with since it's hidden under all that fur. I really thought it was broken at first. I could have swore that leg turned around but now it is almost as strong at the other again...

·
Registered
407 Posts
as sad as she is, its in her best interest to be kept seperated whilst she heals.

I know how you feel - it about broke my heart to see my sweet Nicodemus so sad and alone...but the solitude really helped him heal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts