Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my little ratties out for play time yesterday. I always have used our upstairs bathroom because it was the safest or so I thought. While playing with them, Shadow the more adventurous of the two was over by the baseboards underneath our vanity. She does that all the time and I thought nothing of it until I saw her dissapear. I thought for a second that I was just seeing things, until I bent all the way down and discovered a gap at the top of the baseboard where it should of met the bottom of our cabinet. I hadn't even know that it was like that. You can't see it unless your on your belly. The baseboard that she squeezed through didn't lead under our cabinet, but under that. I tried to get her to come out with food and even Luna seemed to be trying to help. Long story short, she wouldn't come out and it took me and my neighbor and a crowbar and hammer and our muscles to try to get this stupid thing off. It was attached really well but obviously not made right. We ended up breaking the baseboard in half and then had to lift the bottom of the cabinet to reach her. Needless to say she was extremely scared and trying to bite which she never does. When I saw the amount of dust and God only knows what else I panicked and immediately started to give her a bath. Then I let her settle into her cage to calm down. I felt so bad and felt like the worst ratties mom ever. Today I replaced the baseboard and made sure there was no gaps that either of them could get through and inspected the rest of the bathroom just to be safe. I am now worried that Shadow may get sick because of all the dust and cobwebs that were under there. I pray she doesn't and I really hope that washing her off immediately helped some. Has anyone else gone through this? And if so how was your rattie afterwards. I am also worried that she may not trust me now. I probably came off aggressive towards her. But I had to get her out of there and clean her off. I am going to go play with the ratties and hope it goes well. At least I know she can't escape. Sorry this was so long but I wanted to share. You can never be safe enough. Thanks for letting me share this!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yikes! How far did she fall? I wasn't supervising freerange time because honestly he only went in his cage for food and water, so one day he decided to come find me... We have several cats and two very large dogs and the 100+ pound German Shepard gave him an unwanted tongue bath :rolleyes: oops! I felt so guilty but he learned never to leave the room without me again. He was a little shaken up but after some cuddles and skritches all was forgiven. I felt terrible but I honestly think as soon as he was dry he forgot. It also helped he got lots of treats.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts