Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm getting two baby boy rats in two weeks (VERY excited!) and I'm worrying about free range time. I've read a lot about rat proofing and covering up wires, etc., but I'm worried I might miss somewhere. So I was wondering about buying (or making) a rabbit run sort of thing, which will cover a large but enclosed space, and I can put in the living room or somewhere, at least until they're very used to me and have learnt to come to their names.

Is this a good idea, or would they just jump right out? Any thoughts?

And another question: I'm using the instructions on the dapper rat to make a spare cage (http://www.dapper.com.au/articles.htm#cage) to bring them home in and today I bought a little container to use, but I think it's probably too small. It's square, about 30cm (11.5") wide and deep, and about 18cm (7") high. It will only be for a 20 minute car journey, and perhaps similar length journeys to the vet in future, but if that is too small I can probably find a bigger one and use this for spare bits of fabric or whatever. If it is too small, what dimensions do you think? (please don't tell me in gallons, as I'm in England :))

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this thread :oops:!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Ya its fine as long as its big enough that they cant jump or climb out :D
You dont want them to escape.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I'm trying to find a source for coroplast board but gosh that stuff is pricey.

It can make a really nice light weight escape proof enclosure that can easily be folded & stored when not in use.

In the mean time I have been picking up the biggest boxes I can find from the local retail stores. (like the ones that toilet paper & paper towels come shipped in, really deep) I unfold them & tape them together to make a big enclosure.

·
Registered
517 Posts
In the mean time I have been picking up the biggest boxes I can find from the local retail stores. (like the ones that toilet paper & paper towels come shipped in, really deep) I unfold them & tape them together to make a big enclosure.
That is probably the most inexpensive way to do it

I just looked up Coroplast, it is pretty pricey.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, A1APassion. :) Cardboard would be easy, though I'm not sure how long it would last. I have a big B&Q pretty nearby, who'll almost certainly have something I can use. I'm wondering whether I want various walls to close off bits of the room or a big enclosure that I can just plonk in the centre?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
it won't last long but like I said... the stuff I really recommend is way out of my budget at this time. Its like 30 to 35 bucks for one 4' X 8' board & I figure I will need a minimum of 4 boards, maybe as many as 6 (8 or 12 sides). I have to make my enclosure at least 4 feet high because Fluffy can clear a 36 inch wall, hopefully 48 inches is beyond her leaping capabilities. I want to make the enclosure big enough that I can comfortable sit inside it so that I can interact with them & we will be using this on our covered courtyard because the weather is gorgeous this time of year. AC is off & I finally have windows open for a change.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow. Not cheap. Those sound like good dimensions, though. That's exactly what I want to be able to do, sit in it and play with them comfortably.

Good weather. We're lucky if air conditioning is necessary at all outside of July, and right now if I were to open the windows I might just freeze. Well, that last bit is an exaggeration, but it is cold.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
you could try that real thin paneling board.

The only problem is that the corners are brittle/delicate & they will break off if you aren't very careful.

Believe when I say this... if I find a more economical item I will surely post it

·
Registered
411 Posts
I moved my playpen (made out of cardboard boxes) from the center of the room to the corner, because with two room walls, their chances of escape are much lower. For the other two walls I used large moving boxes. Rats can jump pretty high, so you'll need high walls. My rats are still trying their hardest to get out, chewing the cardboard and climbing on my head to try and make a jump from there. They're so smart!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts