Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys :)

I havent got my Ratties yet but ive been planning excercise / free range time and trying to come up with a plan that will fit in with my schedule. At the moment my 3 gerbils get about an hour out of cage time about 6 days a week (the 7th day im usually too tired to go through the battle of trying to catch them to get them out... they dont come willingly lol) and they get a mix of play tub, bath tub, running on the sofa, exploring the stair or running on my spare bed to keep things interesting.

I plan to keep the ratties in my living room where i will be most of the time when im home and hopefully be able to train them enough so they can free range in my living room without any problem, basically when im home just open there cage and let them do there thing (just need make sure theres not a gap under the gas fire and wrap plastic tidy things around my tv wire and lamp) however because id really like my furniture to not be destroyed i wouldnt want to leave them in there while i have a shower or cook my tea and things like that.

What im planning on doing is turning my spare room into a rattie play room, there not alot in there, the wardrobes are build in so as long as the doors are shut thats fine, the bed is a frame bed and very rarely anyone actually stays in there so its fine if they chew the bedding or something. The telly is on a wall bracked and the wires are encase so theres only about 30cm at the bottom that i will need to cover and i have 2 dvd towers that cover the socket so they cant get any where near it. Then all there is is a chest of drawers and a bedside table.

For the times when the ratties need play time and ive got a million and one other things to do as well i was planning on using this room as a unsupervised play area where they can run around, explore and do all the rattie things before comming back down stairs for cuddles. Do you think unsupervised play in a room like this would be ok? When i moved in i was planning on letting my gerbils room free in there but they are toooo small and dislike being picked up way too much for me to ever be able catch them again if they had a whole room to play in, but i think it would be good for rats...do you agree?

Thankyouuuu

·
Registered
365 Posts
My rats free ranged in my spare room. I had them litter trained first, though. Also, they did take a liking to chewing furniture legs, which got annoying.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I let my rats free range in a bedroom, almost all day long. As long as it is rat proof it is good, but know that what you think is rat proof might not be lol. I have learned the lesson.

I have found that it is very possible to train your rats to come "home" when play time is over. It takes some patience and time for some rats. Now when it is "bedtime" I just call all the ratties and they go straight to their cage (well most of the time lmao)

I have a can of treats that they love (gerber baby puffs). I shake it and they love it. I would start out giving them treats daily inside their cage by first shaking the can & using a treat word (I use nummies). Then they get used to the word/shaking and know it means yay treat time.

I then also start giving them a treat everytime I put them away.

Then after time they learn that cage = treats. So now I just shake the can & say nummies & they all run and get into the cage ready for treats. :)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Moonkissed. That is so smart. I have to try it.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I placed pieced of wood strategically around my apartment for my girls to gnaw on. This saves the furniture ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what im hoping i can let them do... have them free ranging in the spare room for the most of the time im home as im mostly in during the evenings anyway when they are most active. I want to keep the main cage down stairs so they have me there when im relaxing and everything but thinking to put a old hamster cage in the play room with a hammock, water bottle and litter tray so they have somewhere to sleep if they get bored of playing.

Theres not much for them to chew in there away as long as i cover the few bits of wire and if they do chew the bottom of the wardrobe or anything im ok with that...luckily i dont have to worry about annoying landlords or parents anymore!

Cant wait until i can have my ratties!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts