Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with my rats free range time. I live in an apartment and can't allow them to simply run around the apartment or in one of the rooms (in a year I'm hoping to get a bigger place where I can have a dedicated rat room - but right now it's just not an option). When I first got them I purchased a dog enclosure, but the spaces were too wide and I modified it by taping together shower curtains. They found a way to nose through the tape so I bought a tarp. The tarp doesn't really work. It's awkward to use and is just a pain in the butt. The only idea that I had is to modify it the same way that I did with my FN cage with wire mesh on each separate panel. If anyone has any ideas or knows of other enclosures that I could buy please let me know.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My husband and I also live in an apartment, and we use the bathroom for free range time. We just dump everything that's on the floor into the bathtub and let them loose on the floor, sitting down with them and letting them crawl all over us. It's worked great thus far, and all we have to do to keep them from being bored is change the position we sit in. lol. Not sure how long that will work, but whenever I move, they have to come investigate and figure out what has changed.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose the bathroom might work. I'm moving and I'm not sure how big that bathroom is - but at least right now the bathroom that I have is definitely smaller square footage than their cage!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Use your bed. I have a huge flannel blanket that I throw over my bed and put boxes and fun things on it, and let them run around. Other members do the same with a second hand sheet and their couch.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only problem with my bed is the frame. They can wiggle between the frame and the mattress and get onto the floor. My girls are small and quick and I'd hate to have to chase them around my apartment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts