Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Roxie (who just had 12 babies, exactly a week ago today :D) is getting along really, really well with us. She seems to really love us, and we are absolutely obsessed with her! My question is, she seems to want time away from the babies to play, and I don't know what to do. She jumps out onto the cage door, and runs around in the dryer vent tube thing (I hold it..) and stuff...but now she's getting braver. I know she wants to run around and explore, but she's SO hyper and fast, and I know she'll get away and I'll freak out. We've tried letting her run around on the bed..and I know a few people said they probably won't try to jump, but she sure seemed like she was about to jump from the edge of the bed to the couch that's right in front of it.

So...my question is, has anyone found a way to make an enclosed space for their rats to play in? I've seen those little playpens, but I've heard they'll just jump right over them. Of course we'd be playing with her and supervising, but I just don't want her to get loose. :?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
do you have a bath? or can you block off a section of hallway?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've always freeranged my rats in a bathroom. It's enclosed, easy to clean up, and doesn't tend to have much to hide in or behind.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
p.s.: i don't know if picasso is just abnormally brave, but she'll jump off of anything to get anywhere she wants. it only took her a few days on the bed to figure it out, and once she figures anything out, she never forgets it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, I'm glad to know Roxie isn't the only one who will attempt something that dangerous! (the bed is pretty high up..) haha

·
Registered
483 Posts
My boy and girls have free range time in the living room We have two playpen fences that we used for the playpen. we block off the dining room and the couch, and my one boy and one girl go exploring and playing--- my littlest one who turns one on the 8th of Feb well u have to watch her because she is fast and will go upstair faster than you can say her name, but she always comes when you call her name. Koi loves to jump too-- she jumps from my chest to the floor, but she won't jump from my bed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts