Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time mom here, just had my mischievous monkeys a month so still learning.
I'm going to be away for 2 nights and I was considering letting them free-range in the bathroom (doors shut obviously) so they can have plenty of fun. They've free-ranged there a few times and it's actually the only truly secure place in the apartment. I could bring their cage in there too and leave doors open to it so they still have their familiar cuddle spots.
Do more experienced people think this is a good idea or a bad idea?
Also, if I ever have to go away for longer, do places that board let them free-range? For some reason, all of my friends and family think rats are disgusting and don't want anything to do with them. Sigh :rolleyes::rolleyes:....the uninitiated

·
Registered
805 Posts
I would just leave your rats in their cage for the two days. Make sure they have plenty of food and at least 2 full water bottles (the second acts as insurance in case the first one malfunctions or drains). Your rats will be totally fine without time out of their cage.

I would not let your rats have free range of any room while you're away. Your rats could do a lot of damage to your bathroom while you're gone. They could even chew through the bathroom door and escape into the rest of your home.

I'm generally comfortable leaving my rats alone in their cage for a long weekend (2 or 3 days). If I'm going to be gone for more like a week, I'd want someone to come in every other day or so to give them food/water and make sure they're okay. I wouldn't worry about out-of-cage time. They're fine in their cage for a week.

Any longer than a week and I'd want someone who will take a bit more care including cleaning their enclosure. This would either be an animal sitter, boarding facility, or a friend with a little experience with small pets. Again, if they don't get to run around for a week or two, it's not the end of the world. It's more important that they're taken care of and in a clean environment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts