Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of my rats are very timid, and I usually just let them run around in a small closed off area, but I want to eventually let them free range an entire room. My past rats were able to, but I'm scared if I let these ratties out they will get scared into hiding and I won't be able to find them. I kind of want to gradually introduce them to full out free ranging. Any tips?

·
Registered
737 Posts
you can use pool noodles to block doors and under some furniture to keep them from getting under it, also have a "safe" spot you can teach them to run to if they get scared i preffer a small cage with a cover over it in a quiet part if the room cat houses work too just somewhere theydont get bothered and put food in it to get them comphy in your small area then move it to your big area with youjust a few tips:)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Also make sure there are no holes in wall, or around any pipes going into walls, in to which rats can enter. A couple of things I learnt about free-ranging: pay attention to electric cables, shoes, furniture. The tend to pick the most expensive, designer stuff.:) The best thing is to never leave rats alone , and watch them where they go. I have immense trouble protecting power cables, as I cannot cover them in any way so the only option is to be close and scare rats away from the area.

Start them off in a small area like the top of a sofa. Once they feel comfortable there, they will venture further.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yeah I agree with starting out small and moving to larger spaces as they get more comfortable. Sounds like you already had that idea too. But I just recently moved and so I started both my boys out on the bed, and let them decide when they felt confident enough to get off of the bed. With Loki, it took a few minutes. With Bane, it took a couple days. Then I gave them time to get used to the bedroom, and then eventually I opened the bedroom door and now they have free reign of the entire apartment. Also just randomly walk up to them and pick them up as they're free ranging, this gets them used to you walking around and also makes it really easy to retrieve them if they are getting into trouble ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts