Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this may seem like a dumb question but is it alright for rats to free roam? My boys dont cope well with being locked in their cage - probably from being too spoilt. At night I lock them in and it takes about half an hour for them to settle down
. They like being in their cage and will sit in it during the day when they feel lazy, they eat in it as well and of course run wild when they want to play. So basically I let them do whatever they want during the day. Any areas they are not allowed to be in are blocked off in my room (they only stay in my room) and I clean my room ever morning so they dont eat/chew anything. They are pretty happy but I just wasnt sure if this is actually a good thing?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
As long as it is 100% rat proof and secure. But for sure know that rats are quite intelligent and you will think you rat proofed perfectly and they will surprise you!! lol I'd be alittle bit wary of them being free when you are not home or asleep just incase something were to happen. They may chew on..everything. I have seen rats chew on walls, doors, furniture, and anything you forget and leave down. You should also pay attention to them peeing and pooping everywhere and it being a pain to clean. I would try to make sure they can't get into any corners that you can't reach and see for that reason.

Rats should not spend 24/7 in their cages. Ideally they should have an area set up that is rat proof for them to run around and play in.

I have a rat room. It is a spare bedroom set up for the rats. I split the time between my two sexes but my rats get the majority of the day outside of their cage. When I wake up I open the boys cage and they get to play until early evening. I then put them away and let the girls out until bedtime.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My girls live free in my bedroom, but I've had to make a lot of changes. My husband and I have removed all of our clothing from the dressers and placed them in our closets. We've had to install wood slats to the bottoms of our closets and doors because the girls have squeezed through. everything really has been modified. It's been several months and now they don't bother venturing to far from their dresser.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it took me ages to finally get my room rat proof. I havent had any problems with chewing, though a lot of their toys they like to chew on. When I go out I close my bedroom door and just leave them. At night they get locked in their cage because I think it is safer - not that there is much difference, just the light is off. They are pretty good with mess. I have a hard plastic mat under their cage so that makes cleaning super easy. I was just worried that maybe they are meant to be in a cage and I was doing it wrong

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
My boys roam my whole apartment after I am confident they will be ok and not damage anything.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yeah it took me ages to finally get my room rat proof. I havent had any problems with chewing, though a lot of their toys they like to chew on. When I go out I close my bedroom door and just leave them. At night they get locked in their cage because I think it is safer - not that there is much difference, just the light is off. They are pretty good with mess. I have a hard plastic mat under their cage so that makes cleaning super easy. I was just worried that maybe they are meant to be in a cage and I was doing it wrong
I'd like to be able to let my rats free roam at night. its not that I don't trust them, they're just to noisy and I need dead silence to be able to fall asleep ( they're in my bedroom) I tried a couple times but It only lasts 30 minutes before I get fed up with them knocking stuff over, playfighting and squealing their heads of underneath my bed while I'm trying to sleep haha, then of course there is always the fear that you might accidentally hurt them in your sleep. Once they're in their cage they fall asleep pretty quickly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My boys roam my whole apartment after I am confident they will be ok and not damage anything.
Yeah I couldnt imagine them damaging anything in my room so I am not too worried about that. The main thing I had to do was block off entries to small places like under my cupboard and behind my bookcase

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd like to be able to let my rats free roam at night. its not that I don't trust them, they're just to noisy and I need dead silence to be able to fall asleep ( they're in my bedroom) I tried a couple times but It only lasts 30 minutes before I get fed up with them knocking stuff over, playfighting and squealing their heads of underneath my bed while I'm trying to sleep haha, then of course there is always the fear that you might accidentally hurt them in your sleep. Once they're in their cage they fall asleep pretty quickly.
Hahah yeah my boys are pretty naughty and I feel that if they were out at night they may want to have even more fun in my room so I think locking them in is best.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Our girl Max lived free range in the house pretty much most of her life... And Cloud and Misty are out most of the time. Some rats can be taught to be house safe, some can be destructive. Mostly you have to teach them not to chew wires as that can pose a real fire hazard. And yes, they are likely to build nests and make a bit of a mess from time to time, but depending on how home competent they get that isn't too bad.

Right now Misty is stealing all of the plastic bags she can find and is redoing the nest in plastic for the winter... Thankfully, plastic bags are free...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts